Job Position: Personal Support Staff (PSS)
Department: Health Services
Status: Full-Time – 35 hours per week
Location: Mississauga & Brampton
Compensation: $22.50 per hour plus benefits
Indus Community Services is an accredited, not-for-profit community benefit organization that has served local communities for over three decades. We are a registered charity, supported by our donors and by all three levels of government. Through our professional staff, we are a leader in the provision of culturally responsive services to newcomers, families, women & seniors.
Vision: To be leaders in building strong and inclusive communities.
Mission: We are a community benefit organization focused on building resilient and healthy communities by offering person-centered, anti-oppressive programs and services.
Under the general guidance of the Manager and as part of a multi-discipline team, the incumbent is responsible for assisting Adult Day Services (ADS) participants with the activities of daily living, facilitating their participation in programs and activities and in ensuring a client centered philosophy.
Responsibilities and Duties: (but not limited to)
* Provide all personal care support to assigned participants and backup support to the Personal Support and Supportive Care teams as needed/assigned.
* Accompany and support participants between program settings as needed and based on their physical abilities.
* Support participants to actively participate in programs and activities.
* Provide all support for eating, including full feeding assistance, setup of meals, according to participants’ ability.
* Assist with ambulation and transfers in the program areas including the use of lifting assistance devices and mechanical lifts where available.
* Diligently follow Care Plans including medication assistance, special care needs, toileting schedules and texture adjustments for meals/snacks.
* Work collaboratively with the PSS team to effectively manage high needs participant care, scheduling of personal care/activities for participants to ensure maximum convenience and maintaining availability/cleanliness of washrooms.
* Communicate any unusual events, or change of condition and identify any urgent concerns to the Client Care Counsellor.
* Use GPA techniques to ensure participants are related to according to their cognitive abilities.
* Provide safe bathing service to ADS participants and bathing service clients while ensuring their dignity and privacy.
* Ensure program supplies are safely stored and restocked for quick access and run/maintain participant and program related laundry needs.
* Provide all personal care in a discreet manner, in consideration of privacy and dignity.
* Ensure effective communication within the multi-disciplinary service team and with participants and caregivers.
* Train and supervise PSW student placements as assigned.
* Interact with the participants in a professional and polite manner.
* Ensure the safety and security of program participants at all times and conduct security reassurance checks.
* Participate in staff and team meetings, and professional development opportunities as required.
* Adopt safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions immediately.
* Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills:
* Personal Support Worker certificate/diploma from an accredited PSW program.
* Demonstrated experience and skills in working with the frail, elderly and demonstrated understanding of responsive behaviours, with applied knowledge of GPA in order to be able to respond effectively and appropriately; GPA or other cognitive behaviour training courses preferred.
* Physically capable of performing duties which require a variety of movements and some lifting of supplies.
* Familiar with mechanical lift devices.
* Must demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude, with excellent interpersonal skills.
* Self-directed, self-motivated with a positive attitude and be able to work independently and as part of a team.
* Ability to prioritize, multi-task and adjust to shifting priorities.
* Excellent oral and written English skills are required and one or more South Asian language.
* Proficiency in MS Office, Email and internet applications.
* Sensitivity to people from different socio-economic backgrounds with an equity lens.
* Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and to work from any Indus work-site.
* Successful candidates must provide current CPR and First Aid certification and a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check prior to commencing employment.
* It is a condition of employment that employees provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the start date of employment. Applicants who have appropriate written proof of a medical reason, or a reason pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code, for not being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 may provide such documentation to the Human Resources department. Such situations will be considered on a case-by-case basis in compliance with Indus' legal obligations.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application, including a complete resume of qualifications and experience, electronically to by 12:00pm, January 27th, 2023. Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of “Personal Support Staff (PSS)” - (insert your name)’
This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Indus Community Services is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse populations we serve. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Posting Date: January 11th, 2023
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!