Title: Staff Lawyer
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Location: Kelowna, BC
Current Hours: 35 hrs./week
Current Schedule: Monday – Friday 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM, 30 minutes unpaid lunch
Closing Date: Until hire
Start Date: January 30, 2023
Posting # 2022-34
At the Kamloops and District Elizabeth Fry Society (KDEFS), we are passionate about the cause we serve – building a just and equitable community where women, gender-diverse people, and families are supported and empowered to thrive.
We are currently recruiting a Staff Lawyer to join our Kelowna Elizabeth Fry Legal Clinic which operates under KDEFS – a growing non-profit organization, driven by feminist values.
Reporting to the Senior Staff Lawyer, with support from a Legal Assistant, the Staff lawyer will ensure successful operations of the Kelowna Elizabeth Fry Legal Clinic by providing legal advice to clients, supervising Legal Advocates, appearing before administrative tribunals, and in court and leading a team of three employees in meeting annual program goals.
- Provide legal advice and representation to clients as it pertains to their legal issues
- Act as a resource to legal advocates in the region, offer support and legal opinion on complex cases
- Identify systemic, substantive and procedural issues that affect more than one client with the relevant ministry or decision-maker and collaborate with the Senior Staff Lawyer and other members of the legal community to take steps toward addressing them.
- Lead and provide public legal education (PLE) to the public as required.
- Hire, supervise, coach, evaluate, and manage staff as necessary to fulfil the program goals in accordance with the policies of KDEFS and the Collective Agreement.
- Maintain and report complete and accurate statistics and records for all program activities
- Perform administrative tasks including record keeping, file management and reporting to accredited standards.
- Coordinate, train and supervise volunteers, students, and contractors as necessary
- Other duties as required
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Requirements
- Member of the BC Bar in good standing with 3+ years of experience in litigation
- Experience appearing before administrative tribunals
- Ability to work effectively with clients who are experiencing a range of sensitive issues
- Experience supporting and advocating for marginalized individuals is an asset but not required
- Ability to run an organized caseload from beginning to end
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy,
- Ability to be flexible as situations arise and meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including verbal and written skills and team-orientation
- Ability to use Microsoft Office software comfortably and learn new technological tools as needed
- Experience with Clio software is an asset but not required
Our Commitment and Additional Information
- KDEFS offers a competitive salary and flexible work hours.
- Extended Benefits and Municipal Pension Plan upon completion of the probationary period.
- This position is open to all genders, races, ethnic backgrounds, and religious beliefs.
- We are committed to being an equal opportunity employer with an employee group that reflects the cultural diversity of the communities we serve.
- A criminal record check and search under the Criminal Record Review Act is required.
- A vulnerable sector check is required and conditional for employment.
- Any criminal record check expense will be reimbursed upon starting employment.
- Travel between worksites might be needed.
- Driver’s License and access to a vehicle are required
- This job is a management position and exempt from the union.
- Only qualified applicants will be invited to an interview.