Title: Strategic Advisor, Humanitarian Coordination (Estrie)
Employee Working Location: Remote/virtual (Montreal, QC)
Employment status: Temporary full time
Salary band: $67,030.60/year
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) — one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet and an awardee on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022 — is seeking a Strategic Advisor, Humanitarian Coordination (Estrie) to join our team.
The successful candidate will support the implementation of the Humanitarian Coordination mandate for the Red Cross in Quebec. They will advise and support the team on the tailored deployment of operations at the local level. They will also support local partners and contributors in responding to various crises and emergencies, depending on needs and our expertise. Additionally, they will assist with the ongoing monitoring/evaluation of the mandate to improve operations based on the established objectives.
In this role, you will:
Responsibility 1 – Provide advisory support on the mandate’s evolving strategy and the deployment of operations
- Consult with management to provide expertise, recommendations, and support on the strategic deployment of the mandate in changing circumstances.
- Build and implement strategies from both a macro/strategic and sometimes a micro/operational perspective and support their execution so that initiatives are implemented effectively and support the mandate’s strategies.
- Provide direct and continued support and ongoing coaching to the CIUSSS de l’Estrie and other PAJEF (Action plan for youth and their families) partners on coordination, community engagement, and collaborative technologies.
- Actively participate in assessing needs, developing internal and external guidance, and writing strategic content to support the mandate’s objectives.
- Monitor relevant tools and strategies used by the Canadian Red Cross, the CIUSSS de l’Estrie, and other stakeholders to continuously guide and improve the approach.
Responsibility 2 – Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders
- Demonstrate strategic thinking to engage various PAJEF stakeholders and work with other Red Cross teams, as appropriate.
- Build and maintain quality relationships with various local and regional stakeholders.
- Determine the required tone on a case-by-case basis and ensure that information is accurate, clear, and reliable.
- Participate in PAJEF governance structures and local collaboration mechanisms.
- Proactively establish a schedule of strategic and operational meetings with partners.
- Help bring together and build ongoing connections between the CIUSSS employees and stakeholders to better focus collaborative efforts on the needs, opportunities, and priorities identified on both sides.
Responsibility 3 – Monitor, evaluate, and report on the mandate
- Help capture knowledge gained from the humanitarian coordination mandate in support of the PAJEF, continuously document issues, lessons learned, and promising practices at both the strategic and operational levels, and make recommendations.
- Help produce reports and analyses that will be done by the Canadian Red Cross as part of the PAJEF.
Responsibility 4 – Other
- Participate in Humanitarian Coordination and Emergency Management team meetings/events, as appropriate.
- Ensure Red Cross training is complete and up-to-date and attend any additional training required for the mandate.
- Be available on an ad hoc basis to assist with large-scale disaster responses that require increased engagement from Canadian Red Cross teams.
- Follow all standards and procedures for operations.
- Perform other relevant duties as required.
What we are looking for:
- A commitment to abide by the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross Movement and model the core competencies of the CRCS: team excellence, service excellence, accountability, and a focus on results.
- A satisfactory Canadian criminal record check and vulnerable sector check.
- A valid driver’s licence (a driver’s abstract may be required) for regular travel within the province.
- A university degree in a related discipline; a combination of relevant experience may be considered.
- At least five years of relevant experience in a strategic advisor role with management, ideally at a public agency or non-governmental organization, or equivalent experience relevant to the position.
- Knowledge of the community sector (stakeholders, collaboration mechanisms), issues and opportunities, and stances on independent community action.
- Knowledge of government structures (provincial and municipal) related to the community and health sectors (an asset).
- Knowledge of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (an asset).
- Proficiency with the Office suite.
- Bilingualism (English/French), with excellent spoken and written French.
- The ability to think and communicate clearly, formulate a clear point of view on complex issues, and write concisely and smoothly.
- Excellent teamwork, interpersonal, and consulting skills, with the ability to help foster a safe and healthy work environment.
- The ability to work with various types and levels of partners and be diplomatic in sensitive situations.
- Strong organization, analytical, planning, and prioritization skills.
- The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in collaboration with multiple stakeholders and follow up in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Curiosity, initiative, good judgment, thoroughness, and self-sufficiency.
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment, in sometimes stressful conditions, and be creative to find innovative solutions in a crisis.
- The ability to listen actively, demonstrate strong mediation and negotiation skills, and develop and implement mutually beneficial solutions and alternatives.
- The ability to keep emotions from getting in the way, remain professional and positive, act confidently, and keep a healthy emotional distance.
- Compliance with confidentiality rules and good judgment and discretion when handling confidential information.
- This is a temporary full-time position until September 30, 2024, with the possibility of extension if the mandate is extended.
- Most of the work will be performed in an office environment, with a hybrid of working from home and at the Red Cross office.
- Frequent travel to Estrie (e.g., once a week) is part of the regular duties of the position.
- The schedule is flexible and may involve working non-traditional hours due to travel.
- If called to support a disaster response, you:
- May be deployed in the field.
- May be required to respond in disaster areas, as well as difficult and unstable conditions (environmental, physical, social, etc.) and uncomfortable conditions (noise, odours, smoke, humidity, vulnerable clients), which may have physical and psychological impacts.
- May be required to respond during non-traditional hours (i.e., late nights or weekends) and work long hours in a demanding setting.
- May be required to be on-call when scheduled.
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- If you are selected for this role, you will be required to complete a successful pre-employment screening process which includes a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC).
- At this time, the CRC has temporarily suspended our Covid-19 vaccination policy and does not require but continues to strongly encourage full vaccination of all our personnel.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible - those who apply after the selection process has started may be held for a second review if needed OR reviewed for alternative roles. We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance.
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.