Summer Fun Camp Coordinator
Full‐time, 11‐week contract, Monday to Friday (35‐hour work week)
Start date: May 29, 2023 – August 11, 2023
Rate: $19/hour (subject to Canada Summer Jobs funding)
Place des Arts is seeking an enthusiastic camp coordinator who will provide a safe, fun and engaging experience for our summer camp participants. This is an excellent opportunity for students who have an interest in working with children and youth and want to gain experience in arts administration, education and/or the not-for-profit sector.
Founded in 1972, Place des Arts is a not-for-profit arts education centre with a mission to inspire the artist in everyone. Located in the historic Maillardville neighbourhood of Coquitlam, we offer quality instruction for all ages and skill levels in the visual, literary and performing arts.
Reporting directly to the Fine and Performing Arts Programmer, the Summer Fun! Camp Coordinator (SFCC) will facilitate all aspects relating to camp participants, teachers and volunteers during our six-week Summer Fun! Art Camp, for students ages 5 to 14.
Camp Coordination and Administration
The SFCC will provide the following administrative support for the Summer Fun! camps:
- Track registration numbers according to camp classes.
- Ensure that all client information and medical notes are complete.
- Communicate with teachers regarding their needs and requirements for the Summer Fun! program.
- Coordinate room set-ups for each week of the program.
- Assist with the camp staff, teacher and volunteer orientation sessions.
- Prepare weekly documents including attendance lists and sign-in sheets.
- Communicate with clients to ensure that program information is shared in a timely
- Develop engagement activities for camp participants during transition times.
- Complete a comprehensive final report of the Summer Fun! camps.
- Oversee scheduling and supervision of volunteers.
Camp Operations (July 4 – August 11)
The SFCC will provide front-line support for students, families, teachers and volunteers involved with the Summer Fun! Art Camp:
- Ensure the safety and organization of up to 100 camp participants per day.
- Ensure the camp runs on schedule by supervising class transitions and breaks.
- Manage camp participant sign-in and sign-out throughout the day.
- Ensure behavioural policies are followed by camp participants.
- Previous experience coordinating children or youth programs.
- Previous experience coordinating and supervising volunteers.
- Ability to relate to children and teens.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Well-organized with attention to detail.
- Capacity to manage multiple tasks.
- Competency in public speaking.
- Ability to work independently and with a small team and to show initiative.
- Approachable and flexible with an eagerness to learn.
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities.
- Must have a flexible work schedule to accommodate additional hours as needed.
- Proficiency in MS Office, Zoom and the ability to use new software.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
- Must have valid First Aid Certification by position start date.
- Must have a Police Information Check completed upon hiring.
To be eligible, participants must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment,
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred, under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment, and
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Experience working with children with special needs
- Proficiency in a second language such as French, Korean, Mandarin or Cantonese