"The best prescription I've ever given is a wish."
-Dr. Jeremy Friedman, Associate Paediatrician-in-Chief, SickKids Hospital & Medical Advisor for Make-A-Wish® Canada
WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST WISH?
Is it to be part of an organization that is child-focused, values employee experience and is an inspiring workplace? If so, Make-A-Wish is for you!
Make-A-Wish® Canada creates life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. We are on a quest to bring every eligible child's wish to life because a wish is an integral part of a child's treatment journey. Research shows children who have wishes granted can build the physical and emotional strength they need to fight a critical illness.
“It’s been wonderful to have this wish to look forward to... It’s wonderful to see [Rowan] with something that brings him pure joy after all he’s been through and missed out on!”
–Melissa, mom to wish kid Rowan (age 5, leukemia), who wished for an indoor jungle gym.
MISSION, VISION AND VALUES
Our mission is, together, we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illness. Supported by our vision to grant the wish of every eligible child.
Our values are Child-Focused, Integrity, Impact, Innovation, and Community.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Meaningful opportunities to make an impact and change the lives of children with critical illnesses within your community and across Canada
- A collaborative team environment where you feel valued and inspired
- An attractive compensation package, including a fully paid Benefits package, RRSP & Wish paid hours
- Annual vacation starting at three weeks & additional paid leaves
- Work/life balance and flexibility
- Hybrid working environment
- Employee Wellness Program
- Corporate discounts
- Continuous learning, development and internal training opportunities
- Fun employee activities, contests, and more!
Make-A-Wish® Canada is committed to fostering a culture that aims to change lives while offering a rewarding employment experience where your contributions make a true difference every day!
WHERE YOU COME IN
We are looking for an Accounts Payable Supervisor to join our team at Make-A-Wish Canada. They will play an integral part in ensuring the timely payment of vendor invoices and expenses (employee/volunteer/other) as well as accurate financial records and reports. The position is responsible for the entire accounts payable cycle at Make-A-Wish® Canada. Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Accounts Payable Supervisor will lead, mentor and coach the team to continually enhance the efficiencies and operations of the department.
This role is based out of Pickering, ON and is a full-time, permanent, hybrid (2 days in-office, 3 days remote per week) position.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Supervises a small team of Accounts Payable Associates.
- Leads the automation of the Accounts Payable function. This includes developing an expertise on the software tools used, ensuring the accurate and timely flow of data, and training staff across the organization.
- Ensures invoices and supporting documentation are properly reviewed and approved by staff in accordance with company guidelines.
- Oversees the weekly payment process including the review of Accounts Payable entries in QuickBooks and the processing of payments (ACH, e-transfers, wires, and cheques). Continuously reviews the payment process to identify and implement improvements.
- Manages the employee credit card programs, including the roll-out of the new employee expense management software, to ensure the accurate and timely processing of coding and payments.
- Manages the employee/volunteer reimbursement process and expense reports for proper authorization and precision.
- Verifies the coding of GST and PST are accurate to facilitate the filing of the GST\HST public service bodies rebates (PSB).
- Regularly responds to questions and requests from suppliers, the team, and other departments.
- Oversees the preparation of journal entries and analysis of assigned general ledger accounts. Responsible for reviewing the work of direct staff.
- Develops and maintains an effective month-end close process for the accounts payable team.
- Continuously considers process improvements to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the team.
- Assists in the completion of analytical projects and requests.
- Participates in regular meetings with other finance team members and contributes to the ongoing process improvements within the department.
- Ensures proper recordkeeping of purchases for use in tax preparation and periodic audits and ensure proper maintenance, filing, and storage of records in case of audits.
- Works in compliance with the provisions of The Occupational Health & Safety Act in the applicable province of employment and its regulations and complies with the Foundation’s Health & Safety Policy.
- Other duties as assigned.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Completion of a post-secondary accounting/bookkeeping program, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience in accounts payable and basic accounting principles.
- 3-5 years’ experience in an accounts payable role and 2+ years of experience in a senior accounts payable position acting as a team lead or manager.
- Conversant with internal control procedures and concepts.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Experience with QuickBooks Online.
- Experience with implementing and using new software applications is an asset.
- Strong leadership skills with ability to foster continuous departmental improvement.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines even in times of uncertainty and change.
- Experience in motivating a team and creating a positive work environment.
- High level of accuracy and detailed-oriented.
- Time management and workload efficiency skills.
- Ability to communicate both written and orally in English.
- A clear Criminal Background Check required.
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to their first day of work, subject to relevant accommodations or exemptions.
YOUR WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Hybrid work environment with occasional requirements to work outside of regular office hours.
- Ability to work under pressure of multiple, tight deadlines, high volume workload, multiple demands, and dynamic priorities.
Make-A-Wish® Canada provides equal opportunity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Reasonable accommodations due to disability are available on request at any stage of the hiring process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Reviewed by Make-A-Wish Employee
- Phone Screening
- 1st Interview
- 2nd Interview
- Reference Check
- Criminal Background Check
ABOUT MAKE-A-WISH® CANADA
Since 1983, Make-A-Wish Canada has granted over 36,000 wishes across the country, over 900 last year alone. As an independently operating affiliate of Make-A-Wish International, Make-A-Wish Canada is part of the network of the world’s leading children’s wish-granting organization. We serve children in every community in Canada, and in more than 50 countries worldwide.
JOIN OUR ONLINE COMMUNITY
For more information on how you can support Make-A-Wish® Canada or get involved please visit our website at makeawish.ca.