Job Type: Temporary, Full-Time
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Days Each Week: Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday
Scheduled Hours: 8:30am - 4:00pm
WJS Canada's Employment Services supports youth and under-employed young adults (aged 15-30 years) experiencing barriers to employment (developmental or mental health challenges, Indigenous, ESL, refugee, recent immigrant or living in a remote, rural location) through exploring career, training and employment options by developing appropriate action plans designed to overcome challenges in securing and maintaining employment.
**This is a temporary full time position until approx. August 2023 with the possibility of extension to a permanent position; you are welcome to apply for permanent positions with WJS Canada while employed in this role.**
You will provide individual and group employment search/career planning, employability skills training and coordinate community employment placements, sometimes, travelling within assigned communities, to identify inclusive business/community partners and assist them in understanding the customized employment supports available to them should they hire through the program. This position reports to the Team Lead.
Schedule may include some evenings and weekends, depending on program needs.
This position will be required to travel throughout assigned communities in your own vehicle, mileage reimbursed.
In Your Role You Will
• Support the team with client intake, employment-ready job skills program facilitation and on-site job coaching of participants
• Network and establish strong relationships with employers, community organizations, education and training institutions, private and public sector agencies
• Demonstrate understanding of job carving and its benefits for employee and employer
• Discover creative solutions to overcome employment barriers. (Ex. visual calendars/schedules, communication aides, etc.)
• Support clients with job searches, career planning and mock interviews
• Individualized support to employers to better hire, develop and retain participants
• Assess potential clients' employment needs, readiness and eligibility for program interventions and financial supports
• Provide group and individual employment counselling, coaching, placement supervision and placement/job retention services to disadvantaged people
• Design workshops, tools, presentations to assist clients entering or re-entering the labour market
• Use skills in public relations, public speaking, facilitating group learning, conflict resolution, mediation and crisis prevention/intervention techniques.
• Self motivate, motivate others and be a positive role model.
• Maintain client files and statistical reporting
• Deal effectively with distressed, hard to serve clients
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Degree in Social Sciences, Social Work or Human Resources, etc.
• 2 years experience as a job coach, employment counsellor, a Settlement Worker, in career planning or working with at risk youth/persons with developmental disabilities, etc
• Previous experience in an employment supports program and/or working with disadvantaged populations with various barriers to employment (youth, ESL, new immigrant, people with disabilities, etc.) is an asset
• Equivalent combinations of training and experience may be considered
• Valid Alberta Driver’s License, reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance, and clean driver’s abstract - travel to communities within the service area; expenses will be reimbursed
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!