Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
City: Edmonton, Alberta
Hours of Work Per Week: 30+
Scheduled Hours: 11pm - 7am) Awake
302-37 Argan House
WJS Canada is hiring highly qualified Community Support Worker to work 1:1 (one on one) with a 26 year old person served with complex behaviours and mental health concerns, who uses a walker for mobility and is at risk for suicidal attempts/ideations.
Client has challenges establishing healthy boundaries with family & friends. Working from a harm reduction and holistic approach, the Community Support Worker (CSW) will work one on one with the client on ISP goals and life skills development, including money management, as well as to model healthy relationships.
Challenging behaviours may occur on a daily basis, therefore, only applicants with ASIST Suicide training, experience with de-escalation techniques and a minimum of 2 years experience working with individuals with significant mental health concerns, high behaviors and/or trauma will be interviewed for this position. Please provide a cover letter detailing your suitability for this role.
* The $20.09+/hr rate is the regular wage of $17.09+/hr plus the $3/hr complex needs rate*
Bona Fide Occupational Requirement: This is a gender-specific position based upon the behaviour and needs of the persons served.
In Your Role You Will
• During overnight hours staff ensure a consistent, healthy and safe environment for the persons in care and are available to provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• Provide instruction, guidance and support in a helpful and supportive manner to persons in a residential group or private home setting through individualized support plans (ISPs)
• Teach/model socially appropriate behaviors and personal independent living skills (hygiene, chores, behavior regulation, etc) or assist with direct care as required.
• Deal with challenging behaviour and use de-escalation techniques to deal with challenging behaviours.
• Assist with household chores (meal prep, cleaning, etc.)
• Administer medication, first aid, or notify emergency medical personnel if/when necessary.
• Use computer program to write objective daily reports and document notes & observations regarding the client
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• MIN 2+ years experience in Disability Services, challenging behaviours, & significant mental health concerns
• Prefer a Certificate, Diploma or Degree – Disability Service Worker, Special Education, Social Work, LPN, Psychology, Psychiatric Nursing or related field; Grade 12 Diploma minimum requirement;
• Personal care/hygiene experience.
• Class 5 driver license (not GDL), clear driving abstract and vehicle
• Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification
• Work well in an environment with potential for aggression/violence
• Training in Abuse Protocol, Medication Administration, Proactive Procedures & Behavioural Strategies, Crisis Prevention Intervention
• Confident & able to function in a crisis
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!