Job Title : Casual Outreach Worker
Based at : Calgary
Reports to : Calgary Program Manager
Hours of work : Casual – up to 20 hours/week
Start date : Immediate
Status : Casual
To serve, strengthen and uplift men, women, youth and children through the life-changing
gospel of Jesus Christ
Job Summary: As a casual Outreach Worker, you will work with the Kids In Action team to run after school programs in Calgary in alignment with the Vision, Mission, Core Values, and Statement of Faith of Hope Mission. You will support with activity preparation, hosting and interacting with students, and a variety of other tasks to serve, strengthen, and uplift children and families.
- Teamwork: Able to serve alongside a team of outreach workers to run an engaging program for kids and youth.
- Passion for & Commitment to working with children, youth and families who face a variety of obstacles and challenges in their lives.
- Program Facilitation: Able to engage a group of children and youth by leading games, Bible lessons, crafts and activities.
- Multi-Tasking: Able to juggle competing needs and prioritize completion of tasks and projects.
- Crisis Response: Able to use conflict resolution & de-escalation techniques to manage crisis & conflict situations.
- Flexibility: Willingness to adapt as program needs and opportunities change with a joyful attitude.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop supportive mentoring relationships with children and youth.
- Build rapport with families, schools and community partners.
- Plan, prepare and implement active and emotionally supportive programs & events for children and youth.
- Lead groups of children and youth in games, perform skits, lead object lessons and biblical devotions. Lesson planning for activities listed above.
- Promote positive relationships and choices during program times through effective behaviour management techniques.
- Responsible for entering & filing registration forms, and documentation of critical incidents.
- Responsible for set up and clean-up of program space.
- Provide and serve snacks and meals for children & youth.
- Other related tasks and duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications & Skills:
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working with children and youth
- Experience planning and facilitating children and youth programs
- Conflict resolution and verbal de-escalation skills
- Degree in Youth Work, Child & Youth Care, or related education an asset
- Physically able to lift up to 50 lbs, run and play active sports and games with children and youth
- Class 5 Driver’s License
- Standard First Aid certification not required but an asset
- Being a Christian Organization we require our employees to be in agreement and sign the Hope Mission Statement of Faith.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada on a full-time basis.
- Able to provide Criminal Record Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search and a Child Intervention Record Check
- A letter of reference from a ministry or church is an asset
- Adherence to Hope Mission’s Policies and Procedures