People, Engagement & Learning Advisor – Full Time, Permanent
Location flexible within Canada
Are you an experienced HR professional who is looking for fulfilling work in the non-profit sector with incredible colleagues and a flexible work culture? Are you a mission aligned individual with a strong focus on providing excellent service to community partners?
MakeWay builds partnerships and solutions to help nature and communities thrive together. We are made up of two legal charitable entities: MakeWay Charitable Society, a shared platform home to over 65+ innovative community-led projects staffed by 170+ change makers; and MakeWay Foundation where about 75 people are advancing place-based programs that support Indigenous-led solutions and conservation in the North, Pacific, Manitoba, and beyond via grant-making, funder collaboratives and other tools. Our people, projects, and partners are based across the country.
MakeWay is looking for a proactive People, Engagement and Learning Advisor who will be responsible for providing direct HR support and advice to a portfolio of environmental stewardship, social justice, and cultural revitalization projects on our Shared Platform. The Advisor will be the PEL point of contact for the portfolio of projects, reports to the Manager, PEL and is highly collaborative with other PEL team members.
If our values align with yours and you want to learn, grow, and develop within a supportive team that shares knowledge and cares, then we want to hear from you! Join us and make a difference.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with leaders across MakeWay Society Shared Platform projects
- Proactively partner and coach project leaders to identify challenges and provide advice and expertise to help develop creative solutions regarding best practices in people management and employee relations
- Provides guidance of HR generalist principles including employee engagement, retention, and talent development, succession planning, change, conflict and exit management, employment legislation, employee relations, performance management, investigations, job evaluation, and compensation management
- Liaise with payroll as required
- Provide timely guidance and responses to inquiries from projects
- Provide guidance and support on Human Resources’ issues including interpretation of human resource policies and employment legislation
- Stay current with federal and provincial legislative changes to ensure compliance and best practice
- Ensure compliance with relevant employment legislation and MakeWay policies
- Review human resource related documentation to ensure accuracy, consistency, and relevant to processes
- Draft memoranda, correspondence, policies, reports, proposals, job descriptions, and other administrative employment documentation as required
- Ensure complete onboarding and offboarding processes are underway including conducting exit interviews with departing employees
- May assist on HR related projects and perform other duties as required
Who You Are:
- Highly relational: You’re a natural relationship builder who can establish connections and build trusting working relationships across the organization.
- Collaborative: You enjoy working independently and are able to work collaboratively with the PEL team to ensure a thorough and comprehensive approach.
- Organized: You are able to balance multiple and ongoing priorities all while providing excellent care and timely communication.
- A strong communicator: You can translate complex legal information and policy into clear and simple language. You are helpful and friendly on the phone, virtual meetings, and email.
- Analytical: You have a strong attention to detail paired with analytical and problem-solving skills. You are practiced in the ability to research, analyse, and make logical decisions within a strict timeframe.
- Professional: You are able to maintain strict standards of confidentiality, awareness, and sensitivity. You have a high level of emotional intelligence and the ability to remain calm in difficult scenarios.
Experience You Bring:
- Alignment with the values of MakeWay
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in HR Advisor or HR Generalist role ideally within a national organization
- Strong working knowledge of provincial legislation governing employers Human Resources practices
- Experience in the charitable/non-profit sector
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office Suite
It Would be a Bonus if You Have:
- CPHR designation
- Experience working with Ceridian Dayforce
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to have a real impact on the community
- Full time annual salary of $65,000-$77,108 (dependent on experience)
- Competitive benefits package including generous RRSP contribution
- Three weeks’ vacation plus statutory holidays. MakeWay has implemented a Substitution Statutory Holiday policy which allows employees the flexibility to substitute another day for a statutory holiday. In addition, the MakeWay office is closed annually for a winter holiday break.
- Flexible work environment with remote working
- High level of responsibility and autonomy
- Opportunities and support for professional learning and growth
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please share what makes you an ideal fit for this position and why you want to join the MakeWay Team.
MakeWay is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace community and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the selection process, please contact us.
Only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No recruiters please!