Job Type: Temporary, Full-Time
Location: Bonnyville, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 33
Scheduled Hours: 0900-1500 three days a week supporting one client. Remaining days/times vary depending on what is best for the clients.
338-38 Bonnyville Career & Lifestyle
WJS Canada operates several community living programs in the town of Bonnyville to support people with developmental disabilities in becoming active, empowered and involved in their community regardless of the challenges they face - developmental disabilities, acquired brain injury, FASD, autism, and dual diagnosis. Our passion is to improve all aspects of a person`s life by focusing on the individuals and their progress. We encourage daily independence and self-sufficiency together with community inclusion.
* This is a Temporary Full time position which may last until mid September 2023; you are welcome to apply for any permanent positions with WJS Canada while filling this role.
The Disability Services Worker (DSW), provides individuals in residential service with physical, behavioural, emotional and social supports/supervision both in the residence and the community. Disability Service Workers develop relationships and act as a liaison with the community, family members, guardians and employers. This position reports to the team leader.
Bona Fide Occupational Requirement: This is a gender-specific position based upon the behavior and needs of the persons served.
In Your Role You Will
• Assist and support individuals with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Assist with daily activities of the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, and/or assisting the person in service with the completion of these tasks, etc.)
• Participate and support planning, as well as safe transportation, of individuals to vocational, recreational, leisure activities and encourages opportunities for social interaction within communities.
• Ensures individuals basic needs are met, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Observes/documents physical, developmental and psychological needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities .
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Opportunity to discuss one-time signing bonus OR relocation expense
• Generous benefit packages (for staff 30+hrs/wk) starting after 3-months employment, including: Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, Employer-paid AD&D and $5,000 Dependent Life, 2 weeks annual vacation to start and more!
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• Professional development opportunities and job-related training
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!