"The best prescription I've ever given is a wish."
-Dr. Jeremy Friedman, Associate Paediatrician-in-Chief, SickKids Hospital & Medical Advisor for Make-A-Wish® Canada
WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST WISH?
Is it to be part of an organization that is child-focused, values employee experience and is an inspiring workplace? If so, Make-A-Wish is for you!
Make-A-Wish® Canada creates life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. We are on a quest to bring every eligible child's wish to life because a wish is an integral part of a child's treatment journey. Research shows children who have wishes granted can build the physical and emotional strength they need to fight a critical illness.
“It’s been wonderful to have this wish to look forward to... It’s wonderful to see [Rowan] with something that brings him pure joy after all he’s been through and missed out on!”
–Melissa, mom to wish kid Rowan (age 5, leukemia), who wished for an indoor jungle gym.
MISSION, VISION AND VALUES
Our mission is, together, we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illness. Supported by our vision to grant the wish of every eligible child.
Our values are Child-Focused, Integrity, Impact, Innovation, and Community.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Meaningful opportunities to make an impact and change the lives of children with critical illnesses within your community and across Canada
- A collaborative team environment where you feel valued and inspired
- An attractive compensation package, including a fully paid Benefits package, RRSP & Wish paid hours
- Annual vacation starting at three weeks & additional paid leaves
- Work/life balance and flexibility
- Hybrid working environment
- Employee Wellness Program
- Corporate discounts
- Continuous learning, development and internal training opportunities
- Fun employee activities, contests, and more!
Make-A-Wish® Canada is committed to fostering a culture that aims to change lives while offering a rewarding employment experience where your contributions make a true difference every day!
WHERE YOU COME IN
We are looking for a Chapter Director to join our team at Make-A-Wish Canada. We are looking for a driven, energetic, and creative person who will be responsible for ensuring fulfillment of Make-A-Wish® Canada’s (MAWC) goals, objectives, and programs for the chapter to grow fund development, elevate community awareness, and increase the impact of wish granting across the chapter. As a member of the Regional Leadership Team, the Director manages the Chapter Advisory Board (CAB) for the chapter and represents the chapter as a lead ambassador for the Foundation.
The position creates and maintains excellent relationships with donors and other supporters across the province and collaborates closely with inter- and multi-region/market fundraising and wish advancement teams, as well as the national development, corporate alliances, mission, and brand marketing & communications teams, in driving resource development across the province it to grow the mission.
This role based out of Charlottetown, PEI and is a full-time, permanent, hybrid position.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Working closely with the Regional Vice President to strengthen and align chapter strategy within regional and national direction, the Chapter Director is responsible for the following accountabilities including overseeing the chapter and its office’s day-to-day operations:
- Participates in regional planning activities within the context of broader organizational plans; and creates a business plan to meet defined goals.
- Acts as a representative of MAWC with the media, meetings and events as required.
- Collaborates with the VP, People & Culture and national functional leads in ensuring appropriate selection, onboarding, training and recognition of staff and volunteers.
- Responsible for the provincial plan and budget as agreed upon in the annual collaborative planning and budgeting process.
- Meets or exceeds revenue targets as agreed upon in the collaborative planning and budgeting process.
- Monitors chapter adherence to financial policies and controls.
- Determines expense projections as part of the budgeting and forecasting process.
- Authorizes expenditures within approved guidelines. Monitors expenditures against budget and forecast and initiates appropriate remedial activities as required.
- Adheres to Imagine Canada’s Ethical Code.
- Drives the provincial fundraising strategy to align with overall MAWC strategic direction to grow awareness, fundraising and mission year-over-year across the province; annual priorities to be determined in collaborative planning and budgeting process.
- Monitors and evaluates development trends to identify new program opportunities and enhancements to increase the profile of the MAWC as the charity of choice for volunteers, sponsors, and donors.
- Collaborates with the national teams - development, corporate alliances, donor care, and brand marketing & communications in driving resource development across the province.
- Leads the team in identifying, engaging, and stewarding individual and corporate donor relationships, including existing donors and potential donors, sponsors, media, and others, with a primary focus on developing revenue generation opportunities, ensuring MAWC is visible in the community and reaches its full fundraising and mission potential.
- Collaborates with the RVP to engage volunteers and fundraising committees to identify and cultivate new donors and partners.
- Leads and supports the provincial team in cultivating relationships with new and existing sponsors for major campaigns and events.
- Collaborates with the region’s Volunteer Engagement Coordinator to identify, recruit, support, and continuously engage volunteers to support the Chapter Advisory Board (CAB) in the execution of its responsibilities to promote MAWC in the community and support fundraising to grow wishes granted in their market/region.
- Supports the regional lead for Mission Delivery by allocating staff time to support wish delivery and wish family stewardship activities as required to optimize their experiences and long-term retention in support of MAWC.
- Oversees staff in management of all volunteers, including office workers, fundraising and mission delivery volunteers, CAB committee members, and event committees.
- Collaborates with the RVP and People & Culture to recruit, engage and retain qualified employees to meet business priorities.
- Provides support and direction in the development, alignment, and accomplishment of objectives through on-going performance feedback, recognition, and coaching.
- Provides a safe and healthy work environment for team members and relevant stakeholders. Ensures they work in compliance with The Occupational Health & Safety Act in applicable province of employment, its regulations, and the MAWC’s Health & Safety Policy.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
WHAT YOU BRING
- 5-10 years executive leadership and management experience in a not-for-profit organization with demonstrated success in strategic and annual planning, board development, donor cultivation, stewardship, and multi-channel fundraising; proven success in soliciting major and planned gifts.
- A visionary, dynamic and collaborative leader able to influence and motivate stakeholders at all levels in the organization and community.
- Post-secondary education, preferably a university degree, in Business Administration, Management, Philanthropy, or related discipline.
- Training in Non-Profit Sector Management and/or CFRE designation is an asset.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse population of community leaders, volunteers, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Experience with, and strong ability to work with and support, a volunteer advisory board focused on resource development and awareness building.
- Strong organization, administrative, and time management skills, and able to address multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Integrity and an ability to maintain confidential information.
- Superior computer skills and high proficiency in MS Office and data management/CRM systems.
- Ability to work under pressure with multiple tight deadlines, demands, a high-volume workload, and dynamic/overlapping priorities.
- A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- A clear criminal background check is required.
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to the first day of work, subject to relevant accommodations or exemptions.
YOUR WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Hybrid work environment, 2 days in-office and 3 days remote.
- Primary responsibilities are carried out in the chapter office; however, you are regularly required to be out of the office for visits with wish families, leadership volunteers, sponsors, and donors, and for site visits and attending events in the community.
- This position requires work outside or beyond traditional office hours and thus requires a flexible schedule year-round.
- Works under pressure of tight deadlines, with high volume workload, and with multiple demands and changing priorities.
- High degree of responsibility including financial, staff, and operational demands.
- Emotional situations in dealing with wish recipients and families facing life threatening conditions or illnesses, in palliative care, and end-of-life stages.
HOW TO APPLY
If everything you’ve read so far sounds like you, we encourage you to apply now!
Please click the following link to apply, application deadline is March 30, 2023, at 11:59pm ET.
Make-A-Wish® Canada provides equal opportunity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Reasonable accommodations due to disability are available on request at any stage of the hiring process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Reviewed by Make-A-Wish Employee
- Phone Screening
- Second interview
- Reference Check
- Criminal Background Check
ABOUT MAKE-A-WISH® CANADA
Since 1983, Make-A-Wish Canada has granted over 36,000 wishes across the country, over 900 last year alone. As an independently operating affiliate of Make-A-Wish International, Make-A-Wish Canada is part of the network of the world’s leading children’s wish-granting organization. We serve children in every community in Canada, and in more than 50 countries worldwide.
JOIN OUR ONLINE COMMUNITY
For more information on how you can support Make-A-Wish® Canada or get involved please visit our website at makeawish.ca.