Summer 2023 – Pending Canada Summer Jobs Funding
The Port Moody Arts Centre is seeking a qualified, creative, and enthusiastic Ceramics Assistant who can provide direction and support for Ceramics Programs. Working closely with the Ceramics Manager, the Assistant to the Ceramics Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Ceramics studio including mixing and maintaining glazes and supplies, recycling and operating pug mills, firing and operating all kilns, assisting the delivery of ceramics programs and services, and ensuring that the program is operating safely and effectively. They must be familiar with how to operate a variety of different equipment and various artistic techniques. Depending on if they work alone, they may also be in need of some general business and record-keeping skills. Requirements include critical thinking, attention to detail, manual dexterity, consistency, creativity, and organization skills.
They will demonstrate strong communication and problem-solving skills and possess skills to assist studio users as required. This position provides an opportunity to gain hands-on all aspects of the ceramics program on operations with a focus on studio management, community engagement, and leadership experience in a non-profit community arts organization.
About the PoMoArts
Housed in the historic Old City Hall and Appleyard House buildings in the heart of Port Moody, the Port Moody Arts Centre is a cultural hub for arts and education. With a mission to promote participation in the arts, we offer a full range of visual, ceramic, theatre, music, and media arts programming for people of all ages and experience levels to explore their creativity and develop artistic skills. The Arts Centre is also home to a public art gallery, showcasing the work of emerging and established artists in a variety of mediums through a professionally curated exhibition program. PoMoArts is committed to celebrating the rich diversity of people in our community. We are guided by the principle that embracing diversity enriches the lives of all people. We all share the responsibility for creating an equitable and inclusive community and for addressing discrimination in all forms.
Reporting directly to the Ceramics Manager, the Assistant will provide daily support in the delivery of:
Ceramics Program Operations (on-going)
- Assist with developing, organizing, and planning 2023/2024 Ceramics programming
- Assist with customer service and conflict resolution related to Ceramics Education programs, ensuring participant satisfaction.
- Provide administrative support, including monitoring registration, configuring, and reviewing all data in the Arts Centre’s online registration system (Xplor Rec) for accuracy.
- Communicate with ceramics instructors regarding their requirements for the program, including compiling biographies, photos, and other information to share with the Marketing Coordinator and assist in the promotion of ceramics education programs.
- Participate in community events and outreach initiatives as a representative of PoMoArts.
- Research and perform competitive analysis for ceramics education programs.
- Liaise with the Marketing Coordinator to monitor registration numbers and identify classes to promote in social media and digital marketing campaigns.
- Help develop an inventory and supply management system for all ceramics supplies and materials used in the delivery of ceramics education programs.
- Oversee the preparation of weekly documentation, including attendance lists and sign-in sheets.
- Complete a final report assessing and making recommendations to improve the Summer
- Assist with maintaining ceramics studio inventory: clay, tools, and kiln accessories
- Routine cleaning of the studio area
- Other related duties as required
Summer Art Camp Coordination
- Assist staff, instructors, volunteers, and parents with daily camp logistics and programming.
- Help facilitate daily sign-in procedures of camp participants, ensuring that all client information and emergency contact forms are complete.
- Work with Ceramics Manager to organize and supervise youth volunteers, introducing volunteers to their assigned roles and activities to facilitate smooth integration into programs.
- Develop and lead fun, creative, and age-appropriate participatory activities for children during lunch break and outside break.
- Ensure the safety and organization of approximately 50 camp participants each day, ensuring that behavioural policies are followed.
- Ensure Health and Safety protocols are in place at all times.
- Assist with the documentation of camp activities, including taking photographs of camp participants and coordinating photo release forms.
- Assist with the safety protocols as outlined in our Communicable Disease Prevention Plan.
- Post-secondary education or a demonstrated experience in Ceramic arts, fine arts, education, community recreation or a related field.
- Educational courses relating to Ceramics/Pottery are an asset.
- Have a strong interest in arts, design, culture, and engaging social media.
- Previous experience working with group settings and one-on-one.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and leadership skills with a positive, friendly outlook.
- Strong organization and time management skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset.
- Creative and resourceful with the ability to take initiative and problem solve.
- Demonstrated ability to work with participants of all ages, social, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- A valid First Aid certificate is considered an asset.
- Must be fully vaccinated as a condition.
- This position requires the completion of a successful criminal background check prior to commencing employment.
Other Eligibility Requirements:
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment.
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, for the duration of the employment.
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
$16 / hour
This a full-time (35 hours/week) 16-week youth employment opportunity scheduled to take place from May 15 – Sep 1, 2023.
How to Apply
Please submit your application to ceramics@pomoarts no later than Friday, April 21st at midnight, according to the following guidelines:
- PDF format only with your COVER LETTER and RESUME in the same document
- Your cover letter should clearly indicate why you are interested in this position, what you hope
to learn, and what impact it will have on your professional development
- Must use “Ceramics Assistant Application” as the subject of your email
PoMoArts is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds, and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or (dis)ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Visit pomoarts.ca for more details.