Job summary: The Communications Manager creates, implements and oversees both internal and external communications that effectively describes and promotes AMSSA's programming, activities, perspective and brand. This position implements, develops strategies and is responsible for measuring the success of AMSSA's communications. This role supervises a small team and provides overall assistance to AMSSA's programs by supporting the development of resources and ensuring branding consistency.
Reports to: The Director of Operations and Communications for daily supervision and overall supervision by the Chief Executive Officer
Classification: Full-Time Contract; April 1, 2023 - March 31, 2024 subject to extension based on funding.
Hours & location: 35 hours per week - work from AMSSA's office located at 4445 Norfolk Street, Burnaby, B.C. with the possibility to work from home 1 - 3 days a week.
Salary: $35.00 / hour - Eligible for benefits after three months
How to apply: Please send your cover letter and resume together in one document outlining relevant experience and qualifications to Melissa Jay, Director of Operations and Communications at .
• Include position title in email subject line.
• Include your first and last name and the job title of the posting in
the title of your cover letter and resume document.
Applications will be reviewed starting March 6, 2023. The posting will remain open until filled and will close without notice. Only shortlisted applications will be contacted.
AMSSA OVERVIEW AND VALUES
AMSSA is a unique province-wide association that strengthens over 80 member agencies as well as hundreds of community stakeholder agencies who serve immigrants and newcomers, and build culturally inclusive communities, with the knowledge, resources and support they need to fulfill their mandates.
· We value EQUITY and strive to be the catalyst for change which disrupts systems promoting racial and social injustice.
· We value INCLUSIVENESS and work with our members and stakeholders to place voices that have been marginalized in positions of influence, creating space for all perspectives.
· We value INTEGRITY, striving to always work to the highest standards, encouraging innovation, risk taking and leadership; we are always open to new thoughts and maintain accountability in our work.
· We value DIVERSITY, recognizing our own individual biases and engaging members and stakeholders in meaningful ways that promotes inclusion of all voices and perspectives.
· We value MUTUAL RESPECT by respecting what everyone has to offer within their own context of life experiences, opening our hearts and minds to always listening and learning.
· We value COLLABORATION, engaging in equitable partnerships, mindfully exploring old and new ideas to advance the work of AMSSA and our members.
· We value SUSTAINABLE TRANSFORMATION, engaging in continuous individual and organizational reflection and collaboration to build capacity and integrate what we learn into our culture and infrastructure.
We are an employer committed to advancing opportunities for equity-seeking groups.
· Oversee and executes AMSSA's branding and communications strategy and plan
· Supervises a dynamic team ensuring that individual staff are and feel supported in their work aligning with AMSSA policies and procedures
· Acts as the liaison with department heads in regard to program-related communications
· Ensures the focus, style, and relevancy of AMSSA communications is suited to the targeted stakeholder(s) and adheres to AMSSA branding
· Establishes and maintains a system of metrics to evaluate the success of communications initiatives
· Develops and implements effective communications strategies that build awareness of AMSSA programs, brand and member engagement including maintenance of a content and editorial calendar
· Works with AMSSA staff team to complete deliverables and activities through supporting, managing, delegating and liaising with contractors on the communications components
· Oversees, creates, and schedules social media to promote AMSSA resources, events, and facilitate information exchange to stakeholders and the public
· Writes and disseminates AMSSA newsletter, direct messages to AMSSA members and stakeholders
· Develops and prepares informative position statements including development and execution of a dissemination strategy through AMSSA channels that includes support for AMSSA members and stakeholders
· Manages and maintains AMSSA's websites ensuring information is up-to-date
· Supervises communications-related projects including program publications, website development, and Annual Report video
· Responds to communication-related issues in a timely manner
· Develops and prepares resource materials, shareable graphics, and reports to ensure usability/accessibility, fulfillment of Funder acknowledgement(s) and requirements, and AMSSA branding where necessary
· Reviews all AMSSA communications and publications to ensure branding consistency
· Prepares and supports the development of bilingual (French and English) communications and materials including liaising with interpretation/translation contractors to comply with the Canadian Official Languages Act
· Liaise with contractors and consultants including graphic designers, web developers, translators, interpreters and others on communications projects
· Oversees, organizes and/or supports the logistics for online, hybrid and in-person events including invitations and registrations, communicating with participants, preparing speaker(s) and troubleshooting with speaker(s), and running the platform backend
· Assist in multimedia set-up and technical support for online, hybrid and in-person events
· Support with and use meeting engagement / interactivity software for AMSSA online events
· Reviews and revises AMSSA communications strategy, branding guidelines, social media guidelines and other applicable documents to ensure effective communications
· Simple graphic design, video conferencing or webinar/online video editing as required
· Compile necessary information on communications to support reporting
· Research systems and technology to support increased efficiency for AMSSA's operations and communications
· Stays informed of developments in the justice, equity, diversity and inclusion, settlement and integration, and migration sector to ensure that messaging is informed and relevant
· Updates and maintains AMSSA's media list
· Create informative and interesting media releases, media kits, advisories, and op-eds as required
· Receives media inquiries, develops and provides briefings for spokespeople and distribute to appropriate AMSSA spokesperson as required
· Take meeting minutes and notes where necessary
· Work with the AMSSA Team on additional and emerging projects as required
· Experience in communications management or similar role
· Proven experience as a supervisor or similar role leading direct reports
· Proven experience developing, implementing and evaluating communications strategies
· Experience with social media and building impact with social media content
· Excellent time, resource and project management techniques
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
· Demonstrated attention to detail, professional attitude, and ability to maintain confidentiality
· Adaptive and responsive in a dynamic work environment and with shifting priorities
· Ability to work independently, while being a collaborative and communicative team member
· Demonstrate critical thinking and problem-solving techniques
· Knowledge of public and media relations tools and techniques
· Proficient with a variety of software and applications: Office 365 including: Teams, Outlook, Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint; Canva; Constant Contact/Mailchimp and database management tools; Google Documents and Spreadsheets.
Knowledge of cloud-based electronic filing through Dropbox, Google Drive and One Drive/SharePoint
· Knowledge of current technological online meeting and webinar platforms: Zoom, Zoom Webinar, MS Teams
· Experience maintaining websites through WordPress and using online learning platforms such as Moodle and Thinkific an asset
Experience using Adobe Creative Suite or similar softwae including graphic design and video editing
· Experience using project management software including ClickUp or similar software is an asset
· Experience working in the not-for-profit, human services, academic or public sector is an asset
· Post-secondary undergraduate degree or diploma in a relevant discipline is an asset
· Fluency in French is an asset
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!