Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton & Area is an organization that believes in the promise of all children. Our team works with community volunteers, partners and other supporters to create safe environments for children to be between school and home and to provide caring mentoring relationships for children and youth. For this position, we are working in partnership with the Council for Advancement of Africa Canadians in Alberta (CAAC), operating as Africa Centre, to provide opportunities for children to participate in a culturally relevant programs that offers academic, recreational, artistic and cultural activities. Now, more than ever, the kids in our community need us and we are looking for great staff to join our team.
Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters is seeking individuals interested in the following position(s):
Competition Number: CC0323
Position(s) Available: One (1)
Status: Full-Time Position (37.5 hours per week)
Salary Range: $54,294-$59,930 annually
The key responsibilities of this position will include:
- Managing the daily operations of the Londonderry Club with a focus on the development and advancement of community partnerships and initiatives.
- Working in partnership with the Africa Centre and the community to provide programming to diverse groups of children and youth.
- Partnership development to create opportunities to enhance programming and experiences for children and youth.
- Planning, managing and directing all program efforts including club programs for children and youth specifically in the areas of physical activity, leadership, arts and culture, health and nutrition and academic support.
- Responsibility for a small staff team, providing direct supervision of staff and volunteers.
- Coordinating and providing leadership, direction and training to all staff and potential volunteers participating at the club ensuring their skills are used to support club programming.
- Building relationships with families and providing opportunities for quality outcomes for their children.
- Collecting and submitting program data/information within a customized database for program evaluation and improvement.
- Providing a safe environment by ensuring adherences to workplace safety and health regulations and operating standards are upheld in all programs.
The successful candidate will have:
- University degree or college diploma in the education, recreation or human services field.
- 2 years of previous supervisory experience and 5 years combined experience in a role involving diverse child/youth based programming, staff/volunteer management and partnership development.
- Solid knowledge of child and youth development, out of school programming, strength based practice and a mentoring philosophy.
- Proven ability to be approachable, understanding, organized and efficient with excellent problem solving skills
- Experience in the delivery of community programs and extensive knowledge of community collaboration, community resources and services.
- An awareness and understanding of emerging issues facing families in Edmonton and the community resources available for families.
- Ability to embraces and practice the agencies equity, diversity and inclusion philosophy and integrates this practice into their work and agency messaging.
- Can be counted on to meet and exceed goals and able to get positive results from others.
- Experience entering data into an electronic case management system and experience working with the MS suite of programs.
- Knowledge of French and/or other African languages is an asset (commonly spoken languages of the children and youth are Somali, Arabic, Tigrinya and Oromo).
- A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- Availability to work 12:30-8:30 PM Monday to Friday from September to June and shift to earlier hours during July and August for summer programming
Candidates must be capable of performing independently as well as part of a team environment and have excellent interpersonal skills.
Boys and Girls Club Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton & Area really is “a great place to be”. In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a supportive work environment, excellent benefits package and rewarding career opportunities.