Title: Women’s Second Stage Housing Support Worker
Location: Kamloops, BC
Hours : On call
Schedule: Announced monthly
Closing Date: March 21, 2023 or until the hire
Posting # 2023-05
At the Kamloops and District Elizabeth Fry Society (KDEFS), we are passionate about the cause we serve – building a just and equitable community where women, gender-diverse people, and families are supported and empowered to thrive.
We are recruiting a casual Women’s Second Stage Housing Support Worker to join our growing non-profit organization, driven by feminist values.
What is a Casual Employee?
A casual employee is not regularly scheduled but is employed on an “on-call” basis to cover the absence of a permanent employee or support operations during busy times.
Casual employment is a great choice for you if:
- You are looking to make good first impressions for a future permanent placement with EFry.
- You are looking to get to know EFry and the culture before you accept a permanent job.
- You aren’t looking to work full-time so you can explore other avenues of interest that you have.
- You are retired from a similar role and looking to contribute to your budget.
- You are a student and looking to explore career opportunities while finishing your schooling.
Reporting to the Director of Operations and Programs, the Women’s Second Stage Housing Support Worker works closely with women and their children, developing individualized plans, with a system of supports for each family; which will assist the family for approximately two years in developing the skills needed to successfully transition to independent living.
- Directly assists clients with life skills development, self-advocacy, and making healthy lifestyle choices.
- Assesses clients’ needs and challenges upon intake.
- Creates an individualized support plan to meet goals to stabilize lives and transition to independent living.
- Helps curate a support team of qualified professionals and community supports for clients.
- Creates an individual support plan for the client’s children.
- Meets with the client a minimum of once a week to identify progress on goals.
- Conducts suite visits.
- Refers client to qualified professionals and community resources when needed.
- Motivates clients to increase their community engagement and volunteerism.
- Facilitates group education on various life skills and wellness topics.
- Observes and recognizes emotional, behavioural, and functional changes in clients and reports to their support team and the Program Manager.
- Assesses client progress and makes recommendations for the program completion date.
- Assists client throughout the transition process when program completion has been identified.
- Prepares and maintains accurate daily documentation, reports, records and statistics as required.
- Participates in a stand-by rotation for after-hour emergencies.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Requirements
- A diploma in a field related to women’s studies, social work, psychology, sociology.
- One year of recent related experience with marginalized and/or disenfranchised women.
- Or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- First Aid, CPI/MANDT, ASSIST, and Trauma-Informed Practice Training would be considered an asset.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to work as a team member, but with a high degree of self-reliance and independence.
- Ability to work with challenging and complex cases.
- Maintaining sensitivity towards cultural, religious, economic & social beliefs, values & opinions.
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook, and other online platforms and technological tools required.
Our Commitment and Additional Information
- KDEFS offers a competitive salary and flexible work hours.
- This position is open to all genders, races, ethnic backgrounds, and religious beliefs.
- We are committed to being an equal opportunity employer with an employee group that reflects the cultural diversity of the community.
- A criminal record check and search under the Criminal Record Review Act is required.
- Any criminal record check expense will be reimbursed upon starting employment.
- A valid Driver’s License and access to a vehicle is required.
- This job is a union position and union fees will be deducted from salary accordingly.
- Only qualified applicants will be invited to an interview.