Hours of Work Per Week: 40+
Scheduled Hours: 12 hour day shifts (0800-2000), on a two week rotation (details within the job posting)
Number of Positions: 2
304-34 Vegreville Fourplex
WJS Canada staff encourage these individuals to live a full life with personalized care based on individual needs. Our commitment is to provide the people we serve with programs that maximize progress and independence, support unique strengths and qualities, and encourage integration into the community.
The Disability Support Worker (DSW) supports individuals with diverse abilities, including developmental disabilities in their home (coaching/supporting with daily activities/household chores) to encourage independence and in the community; attending appointments, be involved in recreational/social activities, volunteer, etc. Encourage integration into the
community. Challenging behaviours can occur on a daily basis and therefore, only applicants with a minimum of 1 year experience working with persons with developmental disabilities who have significant mental health concerns, aggressive behaviours and/or trauma will be considered for this position.
Two (2) permanent, full-time positions that will work 12 hour day shifts (0800-2000), on a two week rotation.
Week 1 = Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Week 2 = Wednesday and Thursday
NOTE* CUPE union membership required
*Complex need rate ($20.09+/hr) paid when supporting complex needs clients. Regular rate ($17.09-$20) paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work.*
In Your Role You Will
• Support individuals to build life skills and social/occupational skills, independence and encourage participation and social interaction within the community.
• Teach/assist the client with daily household tasks (food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc) and personal care (grooming, dental care, bathing, toileting)
• Drive individual in your own vehicle to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• 1 year similar experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities and complex needs. Other experience such as Nursing or Health Care Aide may be considered.
• High School Diploma/GED or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License, clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle with suitable insurance.
• Experience supporting clients/patients with complex behaviours an asset.
• American Sign Language (ASL) skills a definite asset
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right to define/pursue their life choices, and participate in community events, employment and recreation.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Financial reward for New Hire/Employee referrals
• A fair and equitable wage.
• An excellent Health and Dental benefit plan, with premiums paid by the employer!
• Programming that meets current best practices.
• Innovation that sets and defines new standards of care.
• An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
• World-class staff training and personal development.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!