This is a full time Union position scheduled to work 35 hours per week
(Monday- Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm)
- Conducts housing search in and outside of Toronto for newcomer individuals and families.
- If needed escorts clients to housing appointments and advocates on their behalf.
- Secures appropriate and affordable housing for clients.
- Provides support to clients in negotiating and finalizing housing leases.
- Recruits housing providers and maintains a housing data bank/registry of housing providers.
- Provides crisis support and intervention as required.
- Mentoring volunteers to assist with housing search and escorting of clients.
- Maintains program and statistical information in COSTI’s database and prepares reports.
- Conducts housing orientation sessions to ensure that client understands rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords.
- Liaises and consults with other professionals and organizations.
- Refers clients to community & social service agencies for additional support
- Social Service Worker Diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience providing housing services to refugees or newcomers.
- Demonstrated experience providing services to families, refugees, Or newcomers.
- Priority will be given to those that speak a second language
- Previous case management experience.
- Knowledge of specific issues facing people fleeing war
- Knowledge of settlement and housing related services and resources, with an emphasis on the services and resources that exist within the Greater Toronto Area.
- Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting.
- Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills.
- Possession of a valid First Aid/CPR training certificate is required.
- Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police The VSS must have been completed within the last 6 months.
- Must be able to travel within the GTA to multiple locations using public transportation. Access to a vehicle is considered an asset.
- Must be fully vaccinated or be exempt from vaccination on human rights grounds. COSTI reserves the right to require information establishing the validity of the exemption.
**Hours of work shall be scheduled in accordance with Article 12.01and shall consist of five (5) seven (7) hour days, Monday to Friday.
LOCATION: HWY 401 and Victoria Park
START DATE: April 3, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $47, 790 - $51, 435 per annum + benefits
POSTING DATE: March 8, 2023
CLOSING DATE: March 21, 2023
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.