Hostel services program provide short-term accommodation and support services for vulnerable populations experiencing homelessness including but not limited to families, refugees, women fleeing domestic violence and singles. COSTI’s shelters provide clients with a pet friendly dwelling.
This is a full-time Union Contract position scheduled to work 35 hours per week, morning shift
(7:00 am – 3:00 pm), mix of weekdays and weekend days
Current incumbent is on a secondment
- Complete admissions and intakes of new arrivals.
- Ensures house rules are observed.
- Supports the delivery of programs/orientation and services to the residents.
- Completes needed documentation on COSTI’s and funders database.
- Responsible for ensuring welcome packages, welcome files and admission files are ready and prepared regularly.
- Responsible for sorting and distributing mail, including contacting clients.
- Supports the smooth operation of the Centre, which includes responding to emergencies.
- De-escalates non-violent crises, e.g. client altercation, family conflicts.
- Conducts COVID screening for clients including supervising Rapid testing
- Conducts regular room checks and wellness checks.
- Provides emergency intervention in case of client illness and calls paramedics if required.
- Communicates in a timely and professional manner with the supervisor regarding any client concerns.
- Document services to clients and incident reports.
- Supports the general office duties such as answering telephones and responding to client issues.
- Provides interpretation services, as required.
- Communicates in a timely and professional manner with the hotel management regarding any client concerns.
- Community college diploma in community work/human services or equivalent.
- Minimum six (6) months fulltime work experience working in a shelters or respite setting.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Understanding of issues facing refugees and populations experiencing homelessness.
- Demonstrated experience responding to crises and providing supportive counselling.
- Preference will be given to those who speak a second language
- Experience working with refugees is an asset.
- Ability to work independently.
- Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within the past 6 months.
- Must have valid first aid/ CPR certificate.
- Must be fully vaccinated or be exempt from vaccination on human rights grounds. COSTI reserves the right to require information establishing the validity of the exemption.
LOCATION: HWY 401 and Victoria Park
START DATE: April 3, 2023 – December 31, 2023
STARTING SALARY: $39, 843 - $42, 881 per annum + benefits
POSTING DATE: March 8, 2023
CLOSING DATE: March 21, 203
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.