Reporting to the Director, Business Development performs event coordination, execution, support, and administrative duties for a variety of Gallery and partner events and projects.
ABOUT THE GALLERY
The Vancouver Art Gallery, one of the largest and innovative art museums in Canada, is undergoing a multi-phase organizational transformation after celebrating 90 years of operation. With a permanent collection of more than 12,000 works of art, the Gallery is implementing a campaign to build a new purpose-built gallery facility in downtown Vancouver planned to open in 2027. This is a moment of growth, exploration and change, as the Gallery re-articulates its relationship to communities and audiences and envisions the role of an art museum in the 21st century.
The new building designed by Swiss Architects Herzog and de Meuron will provide an optimal platform to reimagine the Gallery’s relationship with the world. The new Gallery building will be the most ecologically sustainable art museum in Canada. The creation of a world-class purpose-built art facility will enable the Gallery to foster deeper and wider community relations and expand audiences, celebrate Indigenous culture, and acknowledge the diverse heritage and histories of place and people in Canada and the ancestral and unceded territories of the Traditional Coast Salish Lands including the Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm), Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw) and Tsleil-Waututh (səlilwətaɬ) Nations.
Complementing and building upon a rich institutional history of exhibiting photography and moving image, design, craft, material and popular culture—in an expanded field of visual culture—the Gallery further seeks the development of an online and virtual space—“a second building”—that blurs the line between the “real” and “virtual” worlds. Through innovative art programming, the Gallery will be a leader in interpreting Canada’s past, present and future.
- Coordination of internal events such as exhibition openings, media previews and sponsor/partner rental events.
- Provides on-site coordination of activities prior to and during fundraising and special events to ensure that proper logistical arrangements are implemented, and problems resolved.
- As required, negotiates agreements for provision of services with other partner organizations regarding rental of facilities and services, subject to the approval of the Director, Business Development.
- With direction from the Director, Business Development assists with the logistical and administrative elements of large fundraising corporate partner events and projects at the Vancouver Art Gallery.
- Coordination of logistical arrangements for catering, security, facility rentals, and internal services.
- Assists with briefing appropriate Vancouver Art Gallery staff regarding security, audio-visual, preparation, and volunteer assistance requirements for fundraising and special events.
- Maintains production and event schedules for fundraising and special events and in close coordination with the Director, Business Development.
- Coordination of administrative elements of fundraising and other special events at the Vancouver Art Gallery.
- Works closely with all gallery departments as required to support other gallery events.
- Assisting with the development of event budgets under the guidance of the Director, Business Development. Obtaining estimates from various vendors and gathering other requested information to be presented in an organized format.
- Maintaining accounting records and event budgets. Producing purchase orders and processing invoices to be approved by the Director, Business Development and maintaining records and files.
- Continually working to improve and build centralized and uniform systems for information and detail to ensure transparency and greater communication for working collectively.
- With the approval and guidance of the Director, Business Development, gathering information and documentation regarding vendors coordinating communication for internal and external parties. Coordinating information flow among divisional and gallery staff. Distributing a variety of material and following up on outstanding items, as necessary.
- Using appropriate software, assists Director, Business Development with the preparation of reports and presentations, producing professional output with a high level of accuracy, style, and impact.
- Drafting responses, standard letters, and memos. Preparing cheque requisitions and other administrative paperwork, as required.
- Recommends improvements, changes and alternatives to clerical and administrative procedures and implements after discussion with Director, Business Development.
- Answers a wide variety of enquiries related to exhibitions, tours, artists, programs, lectures, and events, and provides general information on the Gallery’s various functions.
- Has the ability to work evenings and weekends as dictated by event schedules.
- Represents the Gallery with a high level of integrity and professionalism.
- Supports the Gallery Rental & Event Associate and relives this position during any absence.
- These duties and responsibilities outlined above are representative, but not all inclusive.
- Business Diploma plus a minimum of 2 years’ experience in the field of event or facility management or Hotel Sales and Management.
- Direct experience in coordinating, negotiating, and overseeing events working with clients in the conference, event planning, film or entertainment fields is preferred.
- Candidates should be accustomed to working in busy environments and have strong customer service and work prioritization skills.