Hours of Work Per Week: 32+
Number of Positions: 5
603 Cardinal Cottage
Spirit of Our Youth homes provide Indigenous culturally-based programming, home-based accommodations, healthy routines, recreational opportunities and transportation for First Nations, Metis or Inuit children and youth age 3 to 18 . Our trauma-informed services empower those we serve and help foster community connections with honesty, compassion and respect.
For youth, reconnecting to their Indigenous culture can be a powerful way to heal from past traumas and to envision a stronger, healthier future. Each youth has access to our Indigenous Cultural Coordinator who provides individual support and access to traditional Indigenous teachings, cultural opportunities including sweats, sharing circles, smudging, pipe ceremonies, feasts, round dances, languages and access to community Elders and Knowledge Keepers.
Hiring 5 Youth Workers for various 32+ hrs/wk shifts, you'll be asked to indicate which shifts you prefer:
• Day/Evening combination (8am - 4pm AND 3pm - 11pm shifts on rotating weekdays AND weekends)
• Evening shifts ONLY ( 3pm - 11pm shifts on rotating weekdays AND weekends)
• Awake Overnight shifts ONLY ( 11pm - 8am Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs )
With positive role-modeling and a trauma-informed approach to care, our youth workers focus on the personal empowerment, help youth plan for their future, create healthy relationships with their families & communities.
In Your Role You Will
• Using a culturally-informed, strength-based and harm reduction approach, support youth with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Build supportive and professional relationships with youth.
• Teach age-appropriate life skills such as; communication, emotional well being, problem solving, cooking, cleaning, budgeting, etc.
• Ensure individuals basic needs are met (personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills)
• Daily household tasks (may include cleaning, laundry or assisting the youth with the completion of these tasks, etc.)
• Drive children/youth to and from school, medical appointments, recreational activities, community resources and support networks.
• Plan, deliver, support programming, activities and outings; encouraging youth to build self-worth, emotional competence, physical development and participate in their culture.
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Min. 2 years' experience Child and Youth Work, in a group home &/or community setting
• Experience supporting/teaching Indigenous children/youth, is an asset
•Certificate, Diploma or Degree in Social Work, Child and Youth Work, other human services, Education, Sociology or Psychology, Criminology, etc.
• Valid Class 5 Driver’s License and clean driver’s abstract with personal car insurance (2 million in third party liability)
• Must be able to deal with any crisis situations.
• First Aid/CPR Certificate
• Suicide Intervention, Self Harm Awareness, Crisis Intervention and Medication Administration training
• Indigenous Awareness and Cultural Diversity training
• An understanding of Indigenous cultural practices and traditions
• Follow Spirit of Our Youth Homes Inc. policies and procedures and adhere to Alberta Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act.
• Knowledge of the Canadian Accreditation Council Standards for Child and Youth Group Living
• Able to lift 50 lbs.
* Internal applicants must successfully complete their probationary period prior to applying *
What WJS Canada does
Spirit of Our Youth started in 2000 out of a passion for helping indigenous youth. From one home we have grown to 5 Group Care Homes, a Supported Independent Living program, as well as a Drive and Supervised Visits program.
In 2013, Spirit of our Youth became part of WJS Canada, the largest privately-owned national social services company in Canada. While operating autonomously, Spirit has full access to the extensive WJS Canada resources.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Generous Dental & Health (incl. Vision) benefit packages for employees working 32+hrs/wk
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• Professional and career development training programs
• Flexible hours
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!