Writer & Editor (Full-time, Permanent) - New Position*
Location: This position can be located anywhere in Canada with flexible / hybrid / and remote work arrangements available
Reports to: Director of Communications
Hiring Range: $68,000 - $70,000 annually, including a comprehensive benefits plan, pension plan, 3 weeks paid vacation, increasing to 4 weeks paid vacation in your second year of employment, a December break (usually a week) to recharge, wellness days, access to an Employee Assistance Program and professional development opportunities.
Start date: April 2023
At the heart of Community Food Centre Canada
’s work is the belief that food is a basic right. We bring people together around good food so communities can thrive. With more than 350 partners across the country, we build inclusive, culturally responsive Community Food Centres, share knowledge, create health-focused programs, and advocate for equitable policy change.
At Community Food Centres Canada (CFCC), we work on behalf of good food for all. Our collective approach at CFCC is founded on dignity and respect, equity and empathy. These values are core to our mission and outlined in our Good Food Principles
We especially welcome applications from members of racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free.
About the position:
The Writer/Editor will conceive and create persuasive content to amplify the CFCC brand and enhance engagement.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Writer/Editor will provide writing, copyediting and proofreading services for a wide variety of materials and publications, and across multiple Departments.
This role requires a nimble, strategic, highly creative collaborator with exceptional writing and editing skills. The ideal candidate will be able to easily switch gears from writing a conversational letter to donors in the morning and a policy grant application in the afternoon, to editing an Op–ed the following day.
- Provide client-and stakeholder-focused writing and editing services across internal departments that maintain brand integrity. Including:
- Write and/or edit donor-centered communications including cases for support, grants, proposals and impact reports for CFCC’s Development team
- Lead content creation for Gratitude Reports, donor recognition stories, and donor correspondence
- Support writing and editing of public-facing policy and advocacy materials. This could range from federal budget submissions to partner toolkits and policy reports.
- Provide support with corporate communications, including editing briefs, speaking notes, memos, and other products, as required.
- Provide writing and editing support for the Communications team around public-facing communications (media releases, website copy, blogs), as required.
- Align with CFCC values and contribute to the evolution of our culture, and a work environment that is grounded in Equity, Respect, Integrity & Accountability, Collaboration & Engagement, Leadership, Innovation and Impact.
- Post-secondary degree in journalism or communications, or equivalent, with at least 5 years of related experience as an editor or writer
- Exceptional writing abilities
- Demonstrated skill in substantive editing and copy editing
- Proven ability to create content for a range of audiences, formats, and platforms while maintaining a consistent brand voice
- Sophisticated ability to communicate complex topics in plain language
- Demonstrated experience in writing materials to meet provincial and territorial accessibility requirements
- An inclusive collaborator capable of bringing an anti-oppressive/equity and reconciliation lens to all processes and final products
- Excellent organizational skills
- Detail oriented and self-directed, with the ability to work on multifaceted projects concurrently and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
- Diplomacy and well-developed interpersonal skills
- Mature approach and strong judgment, with a willingness to learn, collaborate and ask critical questions
- Open and receptive to all feedback while providing expertise and strategic guidance in order to meet goals and timelines
- Demonstrated a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing bias.
- Fully bilingual in English and French is a strong asset
Why work for us?
➔ Comprehensive benefits package including extended health, dental, short and long-term disability insurance, membership in a defined benefit pension plan
➔ 15 paid vacation days in your first year, increasing to 20 paid vacation days in your second year of employment, a December break (usually a week) to recharge, wellness days, access to an Employee Assistance Program and professional development opportunities
➔ A culture of mutual support where staff are committed to creating an equitable and inclusive Canada
➔ An opportunity to be part of a movement building health, belonging and social justice in low-income communities across Canada through the power of food