Friends of Ruby
Friends of Ruby is dedicated to the journey and well-being of 2SLGBTQIA+ youth, aged 16-29 through mental health services, social services, and housing. Friends of Ruby offers Youth Mental Health services, a Youth Drop-In Centre, and a Transitional Home. The Centre provides access to barrier-free counselling and therapeutic groups, case management and a drop-in space with hot meals, community, and comprehensive programming. The Home provides transitional and emergency housing, as well as mental health and life-skills to support youth moving towards independent living.
Friends of Ruby recognize that a diverse work force is critical to accomplishing our mission. Our goal is to attract, develop, and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives.
We strongly encourage applications from the 2SLGBTQIA+ and BIPOC communities, and diverse backgrounds that meet the requirements of the job posting. We suggest applicants introduce themselves, their stories and lived experiences in their cover letter to the degree they are comfortable with.
Reporting to the Manger of Finance and Administration, Finance Coordinator’s primary responsibility is providing organizational support to the Finance and Fund Development teams and functions. This role will be supporting the full cycle of accounting, financial reporting, budget performance, forecasts, fund development, and stewardship on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
Fund Development Data Entry & Reconciliation
- Ensure daily accuracy of fundraising revenue across donations, pledges, monthly giving, corporate sponsorships, grants, ticketed events, etc.
- Working closely day-to-day with the fund development stewardship team to ensure donor stewardship data and stewardship reporting is accurate
- Ensure CRA financial compliance for all charitable receipts including annual charitable donation reconciliation & receipt production
- Ensure CRA financial compliance for non-receiptable donations such as funds from other registered charities, corporate sponsorships, ticketed events (compliance for donor advantage).
- Reconciliation for third-party online giving including CanadaHelps; Benevity; United Way; etc.
- Cross-functional coordination of donor financial metrics, analytics and reporting via CRM database (Micharity) and development, finance, evaluation & IT teams
- Coordination with development team for grant budgets, including budget allocation for grants, progress reports on grant budget dollars spent and reconciliation with funder requirements
- Support to Development team for critical stakeholder financial reporting, including Board Finance Committee & Board reporting, annual report financial data, major donor & grant reporting, etc.
- Ability to navigate Micharity donor database, with support for data accuracy for financial & donor demographic database information
- Ability to support on major events, including support for vendor contracts, onsite donation payment systems, budget planning and reconciliation, etc.
- Meet/liaise with Fund Development team as needed
- Support all day-to-day accounting functions including AP (invoices, expense reports, credit cards) and revenue (donations, house rentals, other events)
- Payments – credit card, bank/e-transfers – honorariums, parking, other bills, staff. training, coordinate payments for other teams (e.g., communications campaigns, issuing cheques/manage cheque ledger)
- Reconcile accurate and timely bi-weekly payroll runs for all employees and prepare payroll journal entries
- Assist the Manager of Finance and Administration with the administration of the group benefits and pension programs and reconcile the benefits expenses on a monthly basis
- Maintain detailed payroll records as required including for audit purposes, in accordance with statutory requirements, collaborating with HR and other teams to ensure records are accurate and up to date
- Oversee the payroll-related compliance items including T4s, WSIB and EHT returns
- Reconcile P&L and GLs on a monthly basis and make sure all allocations reflect the approved budget
Financial Performance & Budgeting
- Coordinate the preparation of consolidated annual budgets and periodic forecasts
- Assist with the monthly, quarterly and budget forecast processes in conjunction with the Manager of Finance and Administration by assisting in inputting forecasts, completing driver analysis, reconciling consolidation roll-up procedures and streamlining existing processes
- Support the annual audit of financial statements through preparing the year-end supporting package and providing the auditors with all requested support and analyses
- Work with outsourced financial services on all matters related to accounting and payroll
- Support financial risk assessment and analysis, ensuring proper insurance, financial policies and procedures, annual audits, and budget management processes are in place, including the budget planning cycle, record keeping and remittances
- Support the Manager of Finance and Administration in preparing the material to the Finance and Audit Committee of the Board of Directors and deliver comprehensive financial statements, budget performance reports and forecasts to be presented to the Finance Committee
Compliance and Analysis
- Support the month-end process to ensure actual results are supported and captured correctly; identify and explain any variances to forecast
- Support the Manager of Finance and Administration to develop and maintain processes to ensure forecasts are accurately reflected and create summary management reporting to distribute and inform key stakeholders
- Create ad hoc financial analysis for key stakeholders to deliver recommendations and resulting action items for the organization including variance and trending analysis
- Keep complete records of acquisition documents (legal, due diligence material, lender documents etc.)
- Ensure all government submissions including T3010, HST, wage subsidies, payroll remittances and other required filings
- Financial processing, petty cash management, accounts payables for monthly reconciliation, reporting and audits, keeping track and filing of invoices and allocating expenses accordingly in the system
- Prepare documents for sign-off for ATM withdrawals, gift card distribution, EFTs and mail
- Archival/filing of financial documents
- Degree or work experience in Finance or Accounting
- Fund development experience is an asset
- Not-for-profit experience is preferred
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for Not-for-Profit organizations and CRA legislation
- Understanding of charitable sector governance policies and procedures
- Proficiency in Microsoft environment (365, Excel, SharePoint, Teams etc.)
- Proficiency in accounting and bookkeeping software (QuickBooks; Sage etc.)
- Strong attention to detail
- Satisfactory clearance under the Vulnerable Sector Police Check Program
- Must be qualified to legally work in Canada
- Willing to work onsite at our Friends of Ruby office located in downtown Toronto
- Willing to work on a flexible schedule to accommodate the needs of the organization, working evenings on occasions
- Ability to travel to other community-based settings as needed
Friends of Ruby believes that immunization against COVID-19 is an individual and societal responsibility and that we must do everything possible to protect our clients, families, employees, students, volunteers and contractors against the spread of COVID-19. As a condition of employment, proof of full vaccination or exemption under the Ontario Human Rights Code must be submitted to Human Resources seven (7) calendar days prior to start date.
Hiring Policy / Statement on Employment Equity and Diversity
Friends of Ruby strives for inclusion and diversity by attracting extraordinary people from diverse backgrounds and lived experiences. Candidates with lived experience of homelessness and/or who self-identify as being from the 2SLGBTQIA+ or marginalized community, including Indigenous peoples, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and persons, are encouraged to apply and will be prioritized. We ask that these candidates indicate their relevant identities in their cover letters.