Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Vegreville, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Hours: 12-hour day shifts (8am - 8pm) on a two-week rotation. Week 1: Sunday, Wednesday, and Thursday (Weekend free) Week 2: Monday, Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday.
304-34 Vegreville Fouplex, in Vegreville, Alberta
This program lifetime home for young men with complex, high behaviours, living with developmental disabilities and other mental health challenges .
WJS Canada staff encourage these individuals to live a full life with personalized care that maximizes independence, supports unique strengths and qualities, and encourages community involvement.
Challenging behaviours will occur on a daily basis and therefore, only applicants with a minimum of 1 year experience working with persons with developmental disabilities who have significant mental health concerns, aggressive behaviours and/or trauma will be considered for this position.
As a Complex Behaviours Disability Support Worker, you will coach individuals with behavior, emotional or physical challenges, teach daily living and good citizenship skills, encourage independence, reinforce strengths that are already in place and offer support within the residence and community.
*The $20+/hr complex need rate is paid when directly working with complex needs clients. The regular rate of $17+ is paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work.*
NOTE* CUPE union membership required
In Your Role You Will
• Support/supervise clients' complex behavioural, emotional and social needs/development (in the residence & during community activities)
• Use de-escalation techniques to deal with challenging behaviours. May be required to perform physical restraints (holds) on an individual to stop an individual from violent or destructive behaviours that place themselves or others at risk.
• Assist/support individuals to develop and achieve personal goals.
• Ensure individuals basic needs are met, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Assist with household chores (meal prep, cleaning, etc.)
• Drive person in care (in your own vehicle) within the community.
• Provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• Assist in the design, implementation & evaluation of ISPs, program specific policies & procedures.
• Connect the individual with their family, friends & community.
• Administer medication, first aid if/when necessary.
• Use computer program to write objective daily reports and document notes & observations regarding the client
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Experience supporting clients with complex behaviours and in an environment with potential for verbal & physical aggression
• Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education, LPN, Healthcare Aide, Nursing, etc
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification (NVCI or CPI)
• Training in Trauma Informed Practice, Medication Administration, Suicide Intervention, Managing Aggressive Behaviour (UMAB), Conflict Resolution, Food Safe
• Confident & able to function in a crisis
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Financial reward for New Hire/Employee referrals
• A fair and equitable wage.
• An excellent Health and Dental benefit plan, with premiums paid by the employer!
• Programming that meets current best practices.
• Innovation that sets and defines new standards of care.
• An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
• World-class staff training and personal development.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!