Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Reports to: CEO
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week
Start Date: TBD
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posting Date: March 14, 2023
Provides strategic leadership, and management to all aspects of the following:
- Financial operations - accounting, banking and financing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, forecasting, budgeting, risk management, financial reporting, and management of key performance indicators.
- Information Technology
- Facilities - Supports financial monitoring, reporting and strategic decision making for Capital Projects and asset management.
Directly manages and coaches the following team members:
- Manager Facilities
- Manager IT
- Manager Accounting
- Senior Accountant
- Provides strategic direction and guidance to the organization through the identification of best practices, understanding the changing environment, seeking opportunities, and recommending solutions to ensure the continued growth and sustainability of YWCA Hamilton;
- As a member of the senior leadership team, guides and participates in strategic planning, budget planning and policy and operational decisions in the long-term interest of the Association with attention to federal and provincial laws and associated regulations;
- Oversees the development, management, and monitoring of departmental budgets. Ensures department managers meet their financial goals and resolve issues by monitoring, and taking corrective action as required;
- Full oversight over all financial, real and property assets of the organization;
- Sets up and maintains relationship with Audit firm. Reviews audit reports and directs team to address any corrective action;
- Sets up and maintains relationship with the Organization’s financers. Reviews agreements and monitors and oversees compliance with the terms of financing agreements. Ensures that terms of agreements are reported appropriately in financial reports;
- Participates in the RFP development process for all Facilities related requirements. Guidesthe Facilities team in their decision making to ensure the safeguard of all organizational assets;
- Oversees the development and monitoring of investment strategies;
- Designs and ensures the financial accounting systems and support schedules provide the necessary information for all donors, grant, tax, and financial reporting requirements;
- Manages and maintains a system of internal controls to safeguard assets and maintain accuracy in financial reporting including the safeguarding of IT assets and information;
- Manages internal controls and safeguards to ensure budget activity is aligned to plan, safeguards YWCA Hamilton’s assets and ensure the cash flow process reliably meets operating needs and project commitments;
- Establishes guidelines for budget and forecast preparation. Responsible for the annual budget preparation in consultation with the finance and management teams;
- Oversees the organization’s purchasing function, including vendor relationships. Develops and implements processes to ensure compliance with the Broader Public Sector Purchasing Guidelines and cost minimization;
- Oversees key finance functions including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, banking, financing and investing;
- Works collaboratively with departments regarding growth, organizational plans, and projects; provides subject matter expertise and advice to assist their planning;
- Works together with the project teams during capital projects to support the development and building of corporate assets;
- As a member of the Senior leadership team, fosters effective relationships across the organization to support collaboration and innovation to ensure program development and delivery meet the needs of current and future clients;
- Uses influence to develop solid relationships and partnerships and negotiates to achieve win/win situations when possible, lobbying and working externally with banks, insurance brokers, auditors, and advisors, negotiating advantageous contracts and policies;
- Develops and implements policies and procedures to ensure that employee and financial information is secure and stored in compliance with current legislation;
- Responsible for the development and implementation of a risk management framework for all areas of responsibility and manages all related reporting systems;
- Oversees the risk assessment process and provides risk mitigation solutions and alternatives to the organization;
- Manages and monitors operating budget and capital budget for the organization;
- Maintains current knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for financial reporting and audits, long term financial planning and forecasting systems and related financial models to conduct financial reporting, planning, and forecasting and maintain internal control safeguards;
- Completes multi-year financial planning with procedures and funding mechanisms;
- Ensures that a strong financial accountability framework is maintained and updated as necessary through knowledge and application of principles of accountability and risk management;
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality when working with sensitive client, funder, and employee information;
- Represents the YWCA Hamilton and always maintains outstanding public relations skills and a professional image in the community;
- Fosters a safe and healthy work environment; ensures employees comply with health & safety standards that meet or exceed legislated requirements;
- Understands emerging trends, leading practices, industry professional standards;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision, and values.
- Works a standard 37.5-hour work week;
- Occasional evenings and weekends and travel may be required;
- Attendance at board meetings as required to present financial results.
- Completion of a 4-year degree in business, accounting, or financial management;
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in business or finance;
- Minimum 5 to 7 years’ management experience leading a team of senior professionals;
- CPA designation is required;
- Ability to lead with a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective;
- Ability to make decisions through a social and environmental sustainability lens;
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- Must provide a current Criminal Record Judicial Matters Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Ability to work a schedule which may include the occasional evening and weekend;
- Travel may be required;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages is considered an asset.
YWork for us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are women, First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, LGBTQ2S+; individuals with disabilities; and individuals from racialized communities or other marginalized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.