Develop a host of skills related to environmental stewardship, citizen science, gardening, and nature education while enjoying breathtaking scenery and Gulf Island serenity.
Who we are: The Thetis Island Nature Conservancy (ThINC) is a charitable land conservation and environmental stewardship organization that promotes nature education, community food security, and stewardship and conservation on Thetis Island, BC. To learn more about us, please check out our website!
Tasks and responsibilities include:
- Assist with set-up and operation of summer Nature House program, which includes planning, preparation, and delivery of science- and art-based nature education for children, youth, and adults
- Coordinate with guest speakers and volunteers to assist with programs
- Maintain medicinal and pollinator gardens including planting, weeding, mulching, and watering
- Prepare education and promotional materials including blog posts, social media, etc.
- Maintain communications with community through email, social media, and community notifications
- Participate in conservation activities and community science on Thetis Island (e.g. community bat program, sea star monitoring, invasive species removal, Nature Reserve monitoring, etc)
- Light maintenance of Nature House and washroom facility
- Applicants must be between 15 and 30 years old and hold Canadian citizenship or permanent residency
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic, adaptable, and self-starting
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team within a non-profit organization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; comfortable interacting with the public
- Computer skills related to Google Workspace, Canva, and social media is an asset
- Local knowledge of the Gulf Islands terrestrial and marine flora and fauna is an asset
- Experience with gardening of native and medicinal plants is an asset
- Education and/or experience in the following areas is preferred: Biology, Environmental Studies, Geography, Natural Resource Management, Education, Sustainability or other related field
- Lifeguarding qualifications are desirable (NLS or Bronze Cross)
- Reliable transportation is an asset; mileage for work purposes will be paid
- Able to work evenings and weekends
Note: On-site accommodation may be available