This is a full-time union position scheduled to work 35 hours per week.
(Monday to Friday from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm)
- Prepares and cooks large quantities of food for up to 120 people in accordance with the Canada Food Guide is at must.
- Conducts inventory control including the ordering of food from suppliers and donors with the assistance of the other cook.
- Plans a 4-week menu which meets the cultural and dietary needs of residents with the other cook.
- Prepares all meals and snacks with the assistance of the other cook.
- Cleans and disinfects the kitchen and its equipment according to the Public Health Department standards.
- Ensures that food preparation meets the standards of the Public Health Department.
- Stores food and supplies.
- Carry and store food and supplies (up to 50 pounds).
- Prepares service records and communicate with Operations Manager.
- Trains and supervises kitchen volunteers for program delivery.
- Serves food to Centre residents.
- Culinary Institute Certification or equivalent.
- Food Handlers Certification is a must.
- Must have a WHMIS certificate.
- A minimum of twelve (12) months’ work experience providing large quantity food preparation/cooking up to 120 people per meal.
- Able to cook Middle Eastern cuisine and international food.
- Able to carry and lift up to 50lbs.
- Knowledge of food habits and international nutritious cuisine.
- Proven experience working with refugees and understanding of issues related to poor nutrition and food starvation would be an asset.
- Experience working in a shelter setting Preferly with new immigrants.
- Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills.
- Fluency in English is a must - ESL bench mark level 7
- Ability to speak one of the following languages is considered an asset: Dari, Farsi, Arabic, Spanish, Amharic, Tigrinya and French.
- Must provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) upon successful hire obtained within the last 6 months.
- Must be fully vaccinated or be exempt from vaccination on human rights grounds. COSTI reserves the right to require information establishing the validity of the exemption.
LOCATION: 100 Lippincott Street, Toronto
START DATE: April 1, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $42,336 to $45,562 per annum+ benefits
POSTING DATE: March 16, 2023
CLOSING DATE: March 29, 2023
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file quoting reference #76-23 to the below link: