Location: Westlock/Barrhead, Alberta, Canada
Scheduled Hours: VARIES (not set schedule) May be for a few hours per day or week (including evenings) to overnight supports (weekdays or weekends).
Number of Positions: 2
Respite services help prevent or delay more costly out-of-home placements and... :
- Help the family and caregiver take a break from the daily responsibility of caring for a person with a developmental disability; giving them time to rest & attend to their own needs
- Enabling caregivers to attend courses/workshops, to improve skill and care quality
Out of home respite supporting persons under the age of 18 yrs, who have different abilities.
Supports are individual bases to enhance family care needs.
This position reports to the team leader.
In Your Role You Will
• Assist and support individuals with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Ensure individuals basic needs are met, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Observe/document physical, developmental and psychological needs of individuals in service.
• Encourage, plan, participate in and safely transport individuals to vocational, recreational, leisure activities and social interaction within communities.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities & complex needs.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!