Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Hours: 12 hour night shifts on a 2 week rotation 4 hours awake, 8 hours sleep
WJS Canada staff encourage these individuals to live a full life with personalized care based on individual needs. Our commitment is to provide the people we serve with programs that maximize progress and independence, support unique strengths and qualities, and encourage integration into the community.
During overnight hours sleep shift staff ensure a consistent, healthy and safe environment for the person in care and are available to provide immediate support in crisis situations. In the event of an emergent situation, sleep staff will be responsible for awake responsibilities.
The front-line DSW sleeps at the client's residence and is available, if needed, to assist the client during overnight hours.
***Awake hours (7-10pm) are paid at $20+/hr complex needs rate. Sleep hours (10pm-6am) are paid at $15/hr***
*Complex need rate (Regular rate + $3/hr) paid when supporting complex needs clients. Regular rate ($17+/hr) paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work. Any sleep hours are paid at$15/hr*
• 7pm (4 awake hrs) - assist/model nightly bed-time routine (personal hygiene, brushing teeth, etc.) ensuring a consistent, healthy and safe environment for persons in care.
•10pm-6am (8 sleep hrs)- You will be provided your own private bedroom, within the residence and sleep hours are paid at minimum wage $15/hr. In the event of an emergent situation, sleep staff will be responsible for awake responsibilities to provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• 6am -7am - support client with morning routine; day shift arrives, shift exchange
In Your Role You Will
• Support individuals with household chores, life skills, personal hygiene (if needed).
• Provide supports as per the individual's care plan
• Provide immediate support in crisis situations and use de-escalation techniques to deal with behaviours
• Administer medication, first aid if/when necessary.
• Use computer program to write objective daily reports and document notes & observations regarding the client
• Full job description available upon request
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• 2 years experience supporting individuals with high behaviors, autism, FASD, developmental disabilities, mental health concerns, trauma, etc.
• High School Diploma/GED
• Valid driver's license and reliable vehicle (for transporting clients)
• First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification (NVCI or CPI)
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• Will receive training in Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Suicide Prevention, etc.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada, a national social services agency, works with government ministries, community and social organizations in Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario through over 90 contracts. Together, we provide community-based services to children and families, persons with developmental disabilities, at-risk youth and young offenders, designed to foster positive life changes, increase self-esteem and confidence. As a Certified B-Corp, for-profit company, we use the power of business to build a more inclusive and sustainable economy. Over the past 30 years, we've grown to over 700 dedicated staff who serve approximately 1,600 persons through over 125 services, with revenues that exceed $50 million annually.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health benefits • Staff training and opportunities to learn/work in a wide array of programs.
• An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
• Best practices programming and innovative client care.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!