Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Lac La Biche, Alberta, Canada
Hours of Work Per Week: 40
Scheduled Days Each Week: Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday
Scheduled Hours: 8:30-4:30 Flexible work week including evenings & weekends to accommodate supporting children & family schedules and Supported Family Time visits.
392-31 Strong Families Lac La Biche, Buffalo & Kikino Metis Settlements
Intervention supports for children, youth and families having Children's Services involvement.
Using a Signs of Safety and a strengths-based approach, the program works with youth, children & families in their communities and on nearby Metis settlements (Buffalo &/or Kikino) to support healthy daily living skills, conflict management, parenting, addiction, mental health, healthy interpersonal, home management, financial skills, and other areas of support or interest as identified by youth and family. Build a support network for future growth and success, through community access to resources/programs (recreation, childcare, employment supports & job coaching, addictions support, family counselling, etc.)
Work a flexible 40 hr/wk schedule to meet the needs of families including weekend drives and supervised family visits.
With children and youth, the focus is on mentorship, parent-teen conflicts, self-esteem and conflict resolution. Supports are designed for the youth’s particular situation and focus on building resilience, life skills and developing positive relationships with friends and family.
Preference for qualified Indigenous (First Nations, Inuit and Metis) applicants with strong cultural ties to the community.
These positions require a reliable vehicle, as travel in and around Lac La Biche is necessary. A company vehicle may be provided.
**Qualification requirements deem this to be Family Support Worker level 2.**
In Your Role You Will
• Travel to family homes and communities in the service area
• With input from the youth and families develop goal-based service plans and ensure accurate client file management which involves timely documentation and record of client activities.
• Evening and occasional weekend work is required, as this is the time when families with children are together and is often a stressful time for families.
• Connect children & families with support networks, outside agencies and community resources and organize ongoing service delivery
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Diploma or Bachelor Degree in Social Work, Child and Youth Care, Social Service Worker, Addictions, etc.
• 2+ years social work experience in family supports, intervention, youth work, trauma informed care, kinship or foster care, etc.
• Valid Alberta Driver’s License, reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance, and clean driver’s abstract
• Previous experience in developing community events and projects to engage with youth and families, is desirable.
• Knowledge of indigenous culture is an asset
• Experience working with computer software systems
• Highly motivated, and able to work independently
What WJS Canada does
WJS keeps families and the communities they live in, strong through programs and services, including:
• Family Reunification, Preservation and Support
• Home Visitation
• Supported Family Time
• Child in Care Services
• Foster and Kinship Care and Support
• Personal and Family Counselling
• Driver Escorts for Families
Our Employees Enjoy
• Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, Employer-paid AD&D and $5,000 Dependent Life, 3 weeks annual vacation and more!
• Professional development and job-specific training
• Focus on self-care and a supportive team environment
• Flexible hours
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!