position Purpose summary:
The Community Services Worker (Family Services Worker) assists individuals and families who are seeking aid and assistance from, or have been referred to, The Salvation Army.
· Work with the Community Ministries Coordinator to assist in the organization and implementation of Family Services Programs to make a positive impact on the community (i.e. Adopt-A-Family/Christmas, Food Bank/Food Drives, Summer Camping Ministry, Tax Clinics, Pathway of Hope, new programs, etc.) – Heavy lifting required.
· Conducts initial intake of Family Services clients, assess client needs and provide services to meet client needs, or refer clients to other appropriate community agencies, and maintain lists of other community agency services to assist with appropriate client referral to meet identified client needs.
· Deal with clients in a caring and compassionate manner, treating them with respect and dignity. Respect and work effectively with individuals of diverse culture, socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds.
· Place Food Bank inventory orders with approved suppliers as necessary to maintain inventory at predetermined levels, and maintain accurate records of the weight of Food Bank related donations and purchases, and food distributed or discarded.
· May receive (and/or decline) and sorts/organizes non-monetary donations.
· Maintains confidentiality and keeps accurate client files and statistical records.
· Maintains accurate reporting and documentation of Link2Feed database.
· Awareness and compliance with policies and procedures. Maintain integrity, accountability, and program outcome measurements.
· May be required to support other Salvation Army Staff in other departments at the direction of Management. Assist in reception duties during breaks and vacation coverage.
· Assigns and coordinates work of Community Ministries volunteers
· Attends community meetings on behalf of Community Ministries as directed.
· Be able to work independently and participate as an active and responsible team member in a cooperative team environment.
· Has responsibility for the wise use of his/her own resources.
· Lead by example by demonstrating a positive attitude, a strong work ethic and a willingness to learn and be flexible.
· Attention to detail, problem solving and analytical skills, with good listening, and strong oral/written communication skills.
· Other duties as required.
· Work environment is generally agreeable however may at times become stressful and require work with angry and abusive individuals.
Qualifications and Education requirements:
*NOTE: For some jobs, you may be required to provide validated educational documentation.
· Completion of High School
· Completion of a Secondary School Diploma (2 year program) in Social Service Work or equivalent in related field.
· An equivalent combination of education and experience may be acceptable
· Safe Food Handling
· Minimum of 2 years of prior related experience an asset; which may include issues of homelessness, mental health, unemployment, abuse, addiction, parenting and/or marriage, and working with multi-barriered persons.
· Experience working with a variety of social service programs.
· Able to lift more up to 30 pounds or up to 50 pounds with assistance - The performance of the job requires a moderate amount of loading/unloading the vehicles, sorting donated goods, packing of food bags. Repetitive lifting/ packing.
· Working Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including Excel and Word
· Acceptable Criminal Record Check
· Driving of program vehicles will be required, including high top cargo van.
Successful candidates, prior to hiring, may be required to provide:
DAYS and HOURS of work:
HOURS: 35 hours weekly (Must be flexible – the majority of the hours will be Monday thru Friday, 8:30am to 4pm, but occasionally weekends and evenings will be required due to various programs that we run in preparation for Christmas). Approximate wage $19.00 per hour depending on experience.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!