Position Title: Resettlement Counsellor –Dari-Pashto speaking
Organization Structure: Reports to the Program Manager
Job classification: Counsellor
Job Status: Full time- Contract (Covering Mat leave 5-6 months)
Location: Mississauga- RAP Centre
Wages: $23.06/hour, 40 hours per week
This is a bargaining unit position.
Scope of Position:
Responsible for the delivery of all components of Client Support Services (CSS) program and supporting resettlement of government assisted refugees for one year after their arrival to Canada. This will include the provision of centralised case management, service coordination, coaching and regular follow-up to ensure that refugees are connected to and participate in local programs that address their needs.
RAP program summary
RAP Centre is designed to provide immediate and essential services to Government Assisted Refugees (GARs), during the initial period after the refugee family arrival in Canada, with the focus of equipping GARs with accommodation and daily necessities, knowledge, skills and abilities as well as connections with broader community to live safely and independently.
- Provide the full range of case management services under the CSS program to refugee families referred by the Reception Centre for 12 month after their arrival
- Work closely with Peel Halton Integrated Services Reception Centre to ensure smooth transition of refuges to CSS program
- Conduct needs assessment to identify the immediate and settlement needs and potential barriers for each family member so that service delivery can be tailored to meet client needs.
- Responsible for service planning to develop a settlement plan and identify the internal and external referrals needed to achieve set goals.
- Support clients in the decision making process through information provision and supportive counselling
- Conduct facilitated referrals and linkages to address the needs and barriers identified.
- Responsible for regular follow-ups to check on progress, identify emerging needs, additional services needed, changes to the plan and further linkages and referrals
- Deliver Service Coordination with community partners utilising existing partnership and establish new connections with local service providers to effectively respond to refugees' needs.
- Deliver settlement services additionally assigned to support government assisted refugees at RAP center
- Organize and facilitate information group sessions
- Conduct program promotion sessions to reach immigrants and to promote public awareness of the program and settlement issues
- Maintain strong working relations with agency programs and partner agencies
- Effectively track services in internal and external databases and provide accurate reporting for supervisor
- Achieve the targets set by program manager
- Actively participate in the professional development initiatives
Adaptability, Planning & Organizing/ Time Management, Communication, Initiative, Service
- A degree or diploma in Social Work, Counselling or Education and at least three years’ experience working with immigrant communities or a combination of experience and education that fulfills the requirements
- Registered Social Worker (RSW) is a definite asset
- Language Proficiency certificate identifying the fluency of English and target language skills (for ATIO members present the certificate of membership)
- Knowledge of immigration and refugee services and of the ethno-specific programs and services in the GTA
- Familiarity with issues facing newcomers in Canadian urban setting and systemic barrier facing integration in education, social, cultural, and economic aspects of Canadian life
- Excellent interpersonal, cross cultural, written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in outreach, community development and marketing of program and services
- Ability to work flexible schedules on an as needed basis
- Additional languages: Arabic is required
A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Police Check (completed when offer is made)