(Updated: May 4, 2023)
The Salt Spring Centre of Yoga is a non-profit spiritual centre and yoga community located on beautiful Salt Spring Island on the west coast of Canada. Inspired by our teacher, master yogi Baba Hari Dass, we’ve been sharing the teachings of yoga and hosting retreats for over 40 years, beginning in 1981. The work of the Centre is based on the foundation of karma yoga, working together with the attitude of selfless service. We do many things here at the centre, but the underlying aim is the attainment of peace.
The Program Manager will be working alongside people who are committed to exploring community, spiritual practice, and selfless service. Many people experience transformation while being a part of the pristine Centre land nestled in the heart of Salt Spring Island. There are elders around the land who have wisdom to share and overall, we strive to have a peaceful work environment where you are supported to bring your best and whole self. To learn more about us, please visit our website at https://saltspringcentre.com/.
Program Delivery & Management
- Develops annual calendars, as well as long-term strategy of the Centre’s portfolio of programming in partnership with the Management team and the Strategic Plan
- Fosters meaningful relationships with partner teachers, facilitators and renters
- Responsible for scheduling all programs in current calendar year with foresight to year ahead planning
- Evaluates programming for outcomes, financial performance, and relevance
- Implements pricing structures for all programming, adjusting as needed based on affordability principles and market trends
- Maintains an annual budget, understanding revenue, expenses and profitability of all programs and Airbnb accommodation
- Contributes to the development and implementation of programming policies and practices
- Researches, implements, utilizes, evaluates and maintains software tools (including Retreat Guru and program calendars) to provide the best programming experiences for participants and presenters as well as streamline administration needs.
- Maintains confidentiality by ensuring all files and information are secure, and by conducting all business in a professional, respectful manner
- Works closely with the Marketing role to increase program awareness and attendance
- Supervises and works closely with program staff to ensure registrations & payments are completed
- Ensures that complaints or problems are addressed promptly and effectively
Internal Programming & Weekly Offerings
- Delivers the current programming that aligns with the organization’s mission, supports the organization’s goals, and enhances the quality of existing programs using program best-practice and evaluation
- Participates in market research when considering new program ideas and ensures relevance, accessibility and connection to vision and mission
- Relationally grows and maintains a teacher/alumni database in order to strengthen partnerships and expand programming
- Drafts and secures agreements with teachers/presenters; works with finance to issue payments
- Works closely with the Yoga Teacher Training (YTT) Leadership Team to execute the delivery of Centre’s YTT programming and explore ways of making YTT accessible through online portions and/or segments
- Works as part of the Annual Community Yoga Retreat (ACYR) Team to collaborate and support the team in planning and executing the Centre’s largest, annual retreat.
- Manages other established Centre programs to ensure program excellence, financial viability and excellent guest experiences
- Works with the Spirit Committee to continue to ensure temple rituals and ceremonies are scheduled, marketed and working in conjunction with other space needs
- Opportunity to bring personal expertise to teaching and/or host programming during the season
- Responsible for managing the Airbnb calendar and listings, bookings, and payments
- Creates rental listings and develop guest policy (i.e., house rules)
- Works with the Community Director to respond to guest inquiries and ensure operational and guest needs are attended to, including issuing internal reports
Rentals & Bookings
- Supervises and works closely with program staff to ensure complete and successful management and coordination of all rentals, including:
- Ensuring rental inquiries are provided with necessary information
- Manages teacher agreements and documentation
- Collects and files required program paperwork
- Works with the leadership team to build and maintain a culture where paid and volunteer staff are equipped, supported, and led as a unified team whose common goal is to serve our guests and one another as modeled by founder Baba Hari Dass
- Effectively communicates with personnel about performance, providing staff and volunteers with feedback, evaluations, and references
- Works with the leadership team to plan recognition activities and retention incentives
- Actively contributes to a positive, inspiring and balanced work environment
- Builds strong relationships with renters, alumni, teachers, community members and staff
- Carries out regular, effective, open communication with all staff and volunteers
- Works closely with the Communications and Marketing role to ensure timely coordination of program advertising on island and digitally
General Centre Care and Stewardship
- All staff share responsibility for dishwashing and cleaning during high times and participating in “work parties” when necessary
- All staff are expected to invest in the Centre’s general care – we prioritize providing a positive guest and community experience in the spirit of yoga
Education and Experience:
- A post-secondary degree or equivalent combination of training, experience, and education
- 5 years’ experience in a related area/s (adult programs, yoga, wellness, ecotourism, education)
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a management or leadership role
- Demonstrated understanding of programming best practices (curriculum design, adult learning outcomes, program evaluation)
- A track record in project or program management, administration, or related field;
- A solid understanding of Microsoft Office and proficiency with Zoom;
- Experience with WordPress and/or Retreat Guru would be considered an asset.
Skills and Attributes:
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and time management skills;
- Highly adaptable and can excel in ambiguity;
- Creative and innovative thinking;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Highly relational and able to build strong, sustainable partnerships;
- Skilled in developing marketable program offerings;
- Collaborative - ability to work with long term community members, staff, volunteers, and the Board;
- Leadership skills - including the ability to inspire, motivate and coach staff and volunteers;
- Interest in one or more - self-development, yoga, spiritual practices;
- Legally able to work in Canada.
- Start date: July 2023
- Approximately 30 hours per week, Monday to Friday between 9am - 4pm
- Work must take place in-person at the Salt Spring Centre of Yoga
- $47,000 - 50,000/year, commensurate with experience
- In accordance with Section 34 (f) of the Employment Standards Regulation (BC), this position is exempt from overtime compensation required under Section 40 of the Employment Standards Act. The base salary for this position includes compensation for all hours worked.
- 5 Sick days, 5 Flex days, annually
- Access to weekly classes
If you are interested in joining our multigenerational residential community, please indicate this in your application. We have limited spaces available for those looking to live onsite in the yoga community. Those who join our residential community are asked to: commit to engaging with others in a positive way, keep a clean and sober environment (no alcohol or drugs on the property), and abide by the lacto-vegetarian guidelines while on property. More details about our residential agreements can be provided during the interview at your request.
If this work and lifestyle interests you, please continue reading on the Centre’s website.