Hours of Work Per Week: 30+
Scheduled Days Each Week: Varies
Scheduled Hours: 8am-6pm 4 day rotation 4 on 4 off cat in program
336-41 Westlock Kitty House
IMPORTANT - The client owns a cat, therefore staff should have no allergies and be comfortable around cats.
WJS Canada's Community Disability Services team in Westlock works to encourage persons with developmental disabilities and mental health challenges to build on their strengths, further develop life skills, overcome barriers and become involved in their community.
Following the individual care plans, the Disability Support Worker (DSW) supports persons with developmental disabilities, Autism, FASD, with anything from personal care to managing a complex behavior or life skills training for individuals transitioning into independent living and away from group care or the family home.
In Your Role You Will
• Help individuals achieve and maintain their independence, support their strengths and encourage integration into the community.
• Model &/or when required, provide personal care i.e. grooming, dental care, bathing, toileting, etc.,
• Teach/assist the individual to complete daily household tasks (groceries, food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc.)
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health supports.
• Encourage participation and social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individual in your own vehicle to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Full job description available upon request
* Internal applicants must successfully complete their probationary period prior to applying
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Previous experience working with developmental disability or mental illness
• MUST HAVE - Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License; reliable vehicle, clean driver’s abstract and adequate insurance
• Skills in coaching/assisting individuals in life skills, anger management, daily chores, self help & problem solving, etc.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!