INTERNAL/ EXTERNAL - JOB POSTING
Summer Intern – Kitchen Assistant – Temporary
Starting: June 12 to August 25 (+ 2 days training in prior to start date) 30 hours/ week (Monday to Friday)
Submission Deadline: ASAP or Until Filled
The Caledon Meals on Wheels Summer Intern Kitchen Assistant will support the Kitchen Supervisor in preparing, cooking and packaging hot lunch-time meals for Seniors and people with disabilities, while maintaining a sanitary work environment. This opportunity will be located in Bolton. This position works collaboratively with the Kitchen and Meals on Wheels team including volunteers.
- Assist in the preparation and cooking of meals and food items.
- Monitor food quality through visual inspection, temperature control, and sample tasting when appropriate.
- Follow food safety guidelines.
- Assist in the packaging of meals and packing of meal delivery bags.
- Ensure delivery bags are cleaned and sanitized regularly.
- Conduct and maintain daily sanitation practices and following regular and established maintenance procedures.
- Washing and putting away dishes
- Take inventory of current supply stocks as needed.
- Provide additional support to team as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Occasionally participate in agency meetings, activities, and training
Qualifications & Experience:
- Must meet the Canada Summer Jobs 2023 eligibility requirements.
- An interest in cooking, baking, and/or learning about commercial kitchen operations.
- Experience or knowledge of commercial kitchen operations is an asset.
- Knowledge and skills in food safety, healthy cooking and nutrition is an asset.
- Familiarity using a commercial dishwasher, ovens and stove tops, and cold storage is an asset.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to work in an efficient manner with a high degree of independence.
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- An interest in working for a Non-Profit organization serving Seniors and people with disabilities.
- Current Food Handlers’ and First Aid Certificates.
- A valid Driver’s License and regular access to a vehicle an asset.
- Ability to lift and move boxes and equipment (up to 30lbs).
- Ability to work positively in a shared kitchen.
- Criminal Reference/ Vulnerable Sector Check is required.