In order to be hired at Covenant House Vancouver as an employee, practicum student, or volunteer, candidates must provide evidence of full courses of Health-Canada approved vaccinations prior to starting their first shift.
About Covenant House
Since 1997, Covenant House Vancouver has provided essential and relentless support for youth experiencing, or at-risk of experiencing, homelessness. We provide support to youth ages 16 to 24 who have experienced a wide range of early life and ongoing, complex trauma including physical, sexual, emotional abuse, and neglect. Our purpose is to serve all youth with absolute respect and unconditional love, to help youth experiencing homelessness, and provide a safe and supportive environment for all youth in need.
The Impact a Philanthropy Officer with the Corporate, Foundation and Community Giving Team can make:
As a Philanthropy Officer with our Corporate and Foundation Giving portfolio you will manage around 350+ corporate and foundation donors who give between $1,000 and $4,999 annually. Using your strong communication, administrative, organization, and relationship-building skills you will engage these supporters in the work of Covenant House Vancouver (CHV), ask for monetary donations to support our cause, and help tell our story to demonstrate the impact of how donors are making a difference in the lives of youth who choose CHV for support. You are keen to receive donor strategy advice from team members and to take the initiative to move forward with suggested actions such as phone call introductions, invitations to attend events, asking donors to discuss their future donations, thanking donors for their support guided by the size and scope of their investment. You want to make a difference to help youth who are experiencing homelessness and care about the success of your teammates and the organization.
How you will contribute:
- Build meaningful relationships with annual corporate and foundation donors through thoughtful questions to understand their interests, passions, and reasons for supporting the youth at CHV
- Write solicitation (grant applications) and stewardship communications for donors that align with their funding passions and interests
- Communicate with donors through the phone, email and mail, with some in-person meetings with and presentations to corporate groups. Face-to-face solicitation may occasionally be required in this role, but is not the focus of the position.
- Identify donor’s passions and interests and determine their communication preferences
- Work alongside the Prospect Development (research) team to learn more about your donors and plan how to best connect with them
- Learn about youth stories and updates to CHV’s programs and share them with donors, including the impact that their donations have had in the lives of youth experiencing homelessness
- Invite supporters to participate in events including donor engagement gatherings, gratitude events, Sleep Out events, and other fundraising events
- Support other projects and working groups to contribute to the Philanthropy team’s overall goals
- Perform administrative tasks including data entry into our database (Raiser’s Edge) and answering the general donations phone line in a warm and helpful manner to assist donors with their requests and concerns
- Other duties as required
Who are we looking for?
Education and Experience:
- 2+ years of experience with fundraising and donor relations, communications or similar experience
- College, University, or professional certificate degree is an asset
- Donor database experience, preferably in Raisers Edge
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Passion for learning about Vancouver’s homelessness issues
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Outstanding relationship-building skills
- Skilled at communicating Covenant House Vancouver’s mission, interests, and impact and making compelling cases for support in written and verbal formats.
- Comfortable with public speaking and making presentations to a diverse range of donors
- Demonstrated ability to work in a supportive team environment and independently
- Big picture thinker with attention to detail
- Ability to juggle competing demands, prioritize with ease and are efficient with your time, and comfortable with deadlines
- An interest in philanthropy and learning new skills
Why Work for us? Would you like to …
- Be part of a team that makes a difference in the lives of youth in need
- Have generous Health & Dental Benefits, including substantial counselling benefits, employee assistance program, excellent vacation, personal and sick leave
- Access ongoing training and development to improve both professional and personal growth
- Attend an array of exciting team bonding exercises throughout the year
- An inclusive team that welcomes innovative ideas and creativity
We recognize that many of these identities intersect and that therefore, diversity, equity, and inclusion can be complex. We value the contributions that each person brings and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all at Covenant House Vancouver.
We love what we do and try to make a difference every day. If you are looking to join a place where we have a purpose and aim to achieve positive outcomes, please join us by applying.
If our recruitment process does not work for you, let us know. Let’s see how we can work together to get to know you and see what might be a great fit!