Date: May 2023
Department: National Operations
Reports To: Head of Operations (Western Canada)
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Salary: $55,000 Per Annum Plus Benefits
Time Required On-Site: 0% (no regular on-site requirements, apart from all-staff events, such as AGM for example)
Second Harvest is Canada's largest food rescue organization and is a global thought leader on perishable food redistribution. We operate at the intersection of hunger relief and environmental protection, tackling food loss and waste through food redistribution, research, awareness, and education, continually innovating, and collaborating to ensure a more sustainable planet. We work with thousands of food businesses from across the supply chain utilizing logistics and technology to reduce the amount of edible food going to waste, thereby diverting unnecessary greenhouse gases from entering the environment.
Second Harvest is looking for an adaptive, collaborative, strategic thinker to join our team as the Head of Operations (Saskatchewan). Reporting to the Head of Operations (Western Canada), this position is created to establish and expand Second Harvest into Saskatchewan as well as work closely with the national food procurement team to oversee and facilitate food distribution to agencies in the region. We are looking for a team player who can develop and lead strategically to get the job done.
- Develop and implement a regional strategy for continuing expansion of Second Harvest into Saskatchewan, working with the Head of Operations (Western Canada); identify and evaluate any barriers and risks associated with large-scale expansion.
- Build strong regional partnerships, working with many stakeholders including businesses and non-profits to implement the program and meet all required deliverables.
- As the regional ambassador for Second Harvest, engage with diverse audiences to deliver presentations and participate in speaking engagements with the goal of increasing registration and engagement on the platform.
- Support the Development department in securing new funding that will ensure long-term sustainability of the platform.
- Support the Marketing & Communications department to garner media interest and engagement that leads to increased awareness.
- Oversee ongoing reporting and data collection to support continued growth and optimization.
- Conduct on-site demonstrations of the Second Harvest Food Rescue App as well as terms and conditions audits with local organizations.
- Assess capability gaps and opportunities to improve the platform, working with the team to collect and identify issues and improvements to enhance the program.
- Collaborate with the Second Harvest leadership team to ensure program development accurately reflects the needs and priorities of our non-profit partners and industry standards.
- Manage volunteers creating a positive team dynamic.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the organization.
- Strategic: you recognize and resolve situations that are ambiguous or challenging, focusing your efforts on meeting or exceeding goals.
- Partnership-Minded: you are a people person who makes friends easily and can leverage existing relationships to build program success.
- Naturally Curious: you’re innovative, extremely creative, and constantly looking for ways to improve upon things.
- Entrepreneurial: you have the initiative and drive to get the job done and can find or build the resources needed for any task.
- Experienced in working in the non-profit sector.
- Experience working with food (food service, distribution, production, etc.), would be an asset.
- *Must be based in Saskatchewan; Able to travel across Canada and have a Valid Saskatchewan driver’s license (mileage compensated).
- Second Harvest requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as defined by Health Canada. The Organization will comply with its obligations pursuant to the applicable human rights legislation and accommodate any prospective or current employee who is unable to be vaccinated for substantiated reasons, such as medical or religious reasons. Second Harvest’s vaccination policy is available upon request.
For more information about Second Harvest, please visit: Careers | Second Harvest Food Rescue
Please submit your cover letter and resume on or before May 24, 2023. Only electronic applications will be accepted.
We encourage applications from individuals who self-identify as belonging to equity-deserving groups such as (but not limited to): racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ persons.
Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. Please let us know if you require any accommodations.