Reports to Executive Director
Application Deadline Open until filled
About Farm Radio International
Farm Radio International (www.farmradio.org) is a Canadian charity that has been working since 1979 to harness the power of radio to meet the needs of small-scale farmers and rural citizens in Africa. We work with more than 1,300 radio organizations located in 38 African countries to fight poverty and food insecurity. With the benefit of FRI resources and training, our partner radio stations deliver practical, relevant, and timely information to tens of millions of farmers. We also work with a range of development partners to implement radio projects that address specific challenges and community needs. These projects are implemented in 11 countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
FRI is registered to operate, and has local offices and staff, in seven countries. It is recognized by Charity Intelligence as a 5-Star charity and was identified as one of Canada’s top ten international charities by Money Sense magazine.
Nature and Scope of Role
Farm Radio International (FRI) is seeking a highly organized and collaborative individual that will report to and work closely with the Executive Director (ED) and other colleagues to shape the function of this senior leadership position in all its aspects. Based in Ottawa, the Director will be in regular communication and coordination with colleagues in Canada and overseas. The position has the potential to travel overseas.
We are seeking a bilingual (English/French) candidate who is exceptionally strong in financial and organizational management in the not-for-profit sector, particularly in the areas of finance, staff management, planning, risk management, information management, and other corporate services.
- Develop and lead “best in class” financial management system for FRI
- Strengthen financial management policies and procedures
- Provide direction and oversight to the Corporate Finance Manager and staff in developing annual and project budgets, managing cost centers, forecasting and managing cash flow, generating donor reports, and generating management reports
- Provide direction and oversight to the development of the program’s financial proposals
- Provide direction and oversight to project audits
- Serve as a lead staff member on the FRI Board of Directors Finance, Audit, and Risk Committee, and work with the Treasurer to support the Board in meetings its fiduciary responsibilities, and manage risk
- Improve and manage a system and process for generating management and accountability reports that meet the needs of all internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead, with the FRI Treasurer, the engagement of an auditor for FRI’s annual financial statement and oversee the completion of annual audits on schedule
- Ensure adherence to FRI policies related to investment, procurement, and the growth of net assets.
- Ensure effective and responsible management of FRI assets
Provide Finance Support for Human Resources
- Ensure financial leadership and support is provided for the maintenance and implementation of policies and procedures related to the financial aspects of human resources and payroll for Canada-based employees
- Liaise with and monitor delivery of payroll and benefits by the HR Department
- Strengthen and manage FRI’s risk management policies, approach, and methods
- Ensure risk management procedures are followed in program development, contracting, project implementation, resource management, accountability, communication, etc.
- Work with the Executive Director and the Sr. Director of Operations to ensure FRI is covered with appropriate and adequate insurance
- Work with the Sr. Director of Operations to strengthen and manage safety and security policies and procedures in Africa
- Generate risk reports for the Finance Committee and Board
- Liaise with, and monitor the delivery of MIS services
- Strengthen the development and administration of FRI’s Google Team Drive system of document management
- Ensure digital and physical backup and storage of all key documents
- Work with the MIS team to ensure FRI staff have access to and use of required software
- Develop and manage policies and procedures with respect to internal communication and information sharing
Corporate Services Management
- Manage the Corporate Services Agreement
- Serve as a member of the Executive Management Committee
- Act as the primary advisor to the Executive Director on FRI’s financial, accounting, risk management, and information management
- Engage and coach employees to enable successful collaboration to achieve organizational goals
- Share a leadership role in organizational strategic and annual planning, quarterly reviews, institutional evaluations, etc.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Post-secondary degree in management, finance, organizational development, or an acceptable equivalent in education and/or experience
- CPA designation or underway with 15+ years + in successful senior finance and accounting roles
- 12+ years’ experience in financial, budgeting, and administration management
- 7+ years’ experience at a senior management level in an organization with a record of success in financial management
- Proven track record of achieving results in a non-profit environment, with demonstrated success in developing policies, procedures, and processes, and building systems and tools to support a dynamic, creative, decentralized, results-driven organization
- Excellent managerial and administrative skills with a strong orientation to developing efficient and effective systems with and for staff teams
- Excellent negotiation, dialogue, and conflict management skills
- Able to provide clear, open, and motivational leadership among all colleagues
- Able to thrive and work effectively in a multicultural, multilingual, dispersed, participative, and minimally hierarchical work environment
- Fluency in English and the capacity to communicate effectively in French are essential
- Proficient in the use of the Microsoft and Google suite of products as well as SAGE ERP and other finance and accounting software