Support Home Contractor
Job ID: LK-05012023
YWCA Edmonton is a powerful voice for equity and has been leading social change and progress for women and families in the Edmonton region since 1907. Part of an international movement, YWCA Edmonton is a trusted provider of services, programs, and advocacy work that transforms lives and helps build a stronger, healthier, and equitable community for all.
What we can offer you:
- Professional development and learning opportunities
- A rewarding experience to make an impact in another person’s life
The Disability Services department provides support to Individuals with a wide range of diagnoses, including but not limited to developmental disabilities, physical limitations, behavioral and psychological challenges, and medical fragility.
Our goal is to empower individuals to achieve their full potential with the support of their community. We create opportunities for each Individual to enhance her/his quality of life through goal setting and personal achievement.
What it Means to be a Support Home Contractor:
Support Home Contractors welcome Individuals into their home that require varying levels of support 24/7. Support Home Contractors work with Host Contractors to support Individuals and develop plans to help the Individuals succeed. Contractors work with Individuals to assist with daily living skills, behavioral strategies, and often, medication administration.
- Passionate about community service
- Value relationships and people
- Patient and caring
- Have a positive attitude
Hours of work and location: Monday to Sunday, 24/7 with respite as per contract in your home (basement or private/separate suite).
Provide support to Individual in the areas of:
- Provide a safe and comfortable environment for Individual
- Daily routine; such as personal care reminders, booking and attending medical appointments, behavior management, ensuring proper medication administration, and other areas as required
- Promote cultural activities and skills development with Individual
- Assist in the development of Individual Service Plans when required
- Implement service plans, follow specified programs (ex. behavior programs) and document the Individual’s progress
- Model organizational and behavioral strategies
- Complete required documentation for recording service delivery including medication administration reports, summary reports, monthly, and incident reports
- Follow policies and procedures as outlined in YWCA Edmonton policies and procedures manual
- Attend meetings and training sessions as required
- Grade 12 equivalency
- One year of Post-Secondary education in Human Services is preferred
Experience, Skills, and Knowledge:
- Minimum one (1) year of related work experience in the human services field
- Experience helping Individuals with skill development is an asset
- Experience supporting Individuals with behavioural and medical needs is an asset
- Intervention Record Check and Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector (no more than 6 months old)
- Willingness to take part in all YWCA Edmonton provided training in /MANDT, Medication Administration, Abuse Prevention & Response, Infectious Disease & Prevention, and WHMIS (within 6 months of start date)
- Current Standard First Aid and Level C CPR certification from an Alberta OHS-approved training agency
- Safe Bathing and Showering certification
- A keen interest in community integration of adults with disabilities
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of basic computer use
- Ability to interact in a positive manner with a diverse population
- Looking for fulltime Support Home Contractor willing to work with a 6-year-old male child in their home while accommodating hourly staff in the home daily for additional supports. There should be no other kids or pets in the home.
- Must be trained Must be trained or educated in following diagnoses; Some diagnoses include global developmental delays, reactive attachment disorder, emotional regulation delay/disruptive mood dysregulation disorder and a history of trauma.
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license, access to a personal vehicle, and willingness to transport Individuals
- Have a home that is safe and secure and provides a comfortable and caring environment for an Individual.
- $2 Million Third Party Liability Vehicle Insurance
- Mental Health First is an asset. Must have the mindset of “do with, not for” and be able to teach independent living skills
There will be an introductory period to ensure it is a good fit for everyone, you will be hired under a respite contract and paid for this one-week period, if all goes well it will transition to full-time.
The monthly Support Home stipend is dependent on the approved budget of the Individual receiving services
Please submit your cover letter and resume. Please include ‘Job LK-05012023", Contractor’ in the submit line.
No phone calls please. Only those selected for a prescreen will be contacted