Community Outreach Assistant (Newcomer)
Full-time Canada Summer Jobs Opportunity
Who we are: Job Skills offers employment solutions connecting the skills of job seekers with the needs of employers to create a more vibrant community.
What we need: The successful candidate will meet the following criteria:
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- Must be a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act* for the duration of the employment and,
- Must have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
*Foreign Students are not eligible
Applicants should also have the following qualifications/skills:
- Have excellent communication skills (written, verbal)
- Have excellent customer services skills with both internal and external customers
- Have superior organizational skills, with the ability to multi-task, in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in MS Office Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access)
Preferred candidates will be enrolled in either a college and/or university level program, majoring in one of the following disciplines:
- Social Service Worker / Social Work
- Career Development Professional/Practitioner
- Supported Employment Specialist
What you will do: The Community Outreach Assistant (Newcomer) supports the client recruitment activities of the Job Skills Employment Programs and Services activities by:
Outreach and Client Support
- Participating in the development of a formal outreach program for JS programs, utilizing the JS internal database. This will include:
- Creating an outreach schedule of events for a 12-month period to include face to face meetings at community partner team meetings, delivery of email and hard copy JS marketing information
- Updating and expanding the JS existing stakeholders list of community partners
- Creating a detailed list of all local community locations to target clients (i.e. shopping malls, shelters, community centres, food pantries, libraries)
- Creating a schedule for digital notifications to be sent to all community partners on a monthly basis
- Researching and creating a formal list of all local community FB links to include staff memberships
- Researching and creating a 12-month list of community events within York Region and entering this in the JS internal database
- Participating in the delivery of outreach activities both on-site and throughout the community (i.e. community partners, community centers, youth centers, shopping malls, job fairs and shelters)
- Conducting planned outreach activities in York Region, in coordination with JS’ services and programs team
- Using excellent customer service skills, both on the phone and in person, dealing tactfully and effectively with partners, organizations, government agencies and the general public
- Participating in the planning, preparation and promotion of events
- Attending and assisting with specific promotional activities or other activities, as required
- Ensuring that the Centre Manager is kept aware of critical issues and weekly activities
- Making recommendations to the Centre Manager, regarding the delivery of an outreach strategy
- Working with the Marketing Department to support the development and creation of outreach-oriented marketing and information tools
- Assisting in the identification of trends affecting employment through formal research and observation
- Providing support to local community initiatives focused on addressing the needs of job seekers
General Office Duties
- Becoming familiar with JS’ mandate, objectives and programs (e.g. Employment Services, Youth Job Connection, Smart Start, Canada Ontario Job Grant, Business Services, etc.), through the review of available literature, involvement in staff meetings and site-specific visits
- Responding to general inquiries for information and referring walk-in/telephone clients to appropriate JS and other community services and programs, as required
- Developing and maintaining a working relationship with all JS departments, at all JS offices
- Learning to operate basic office equipment, programs and systems (e.g. phone systems, printer, scanner, postage machine, desktop computer, including related computer programs, SMART database, e-mail and directories)
- Building Collaborations/Partnerships
- Client Service Orientation
- Analytical Thinking
- Persuasive Communication
- Problem Solving
What you will get: In addition to the satisfaction gained from helping people reach their goals, Job Skills offers a competitive salary!
If you are interested in this employment opportunity, please read on to learn more about Job Skills, how you can apply to this exciting position and become part of our growing Job Skills Team!
Job Skills is a forward-thinking, not-for-profit, charitable organization that is constantly developing or implementing new programs to help individuals achieve economic independence. In doing so, we aim to contribute to the economic and social viability of our community. We are ethical, client-focused, performance-oriented and believe in the personal growth of our staff, our community and our clients.
As a Community Outreach Assistant (Newcomer) with Job Skills, you will work for a high-performing organization that is dedicated to assisting individuals in achieving their employment goals. In this role, you will utilize your unique combination of skills and experience to help clients find and maintain meaningful employment.
Job Skills is committed to fostering a workplace that is both inclusive and representative of the communities we serve. As a diverse workplace incorporates a variety of backgrounds and perspectives, we believe that being a diverse and inclusive organization is essential to achieving success and client satisfaction in all Job Skills Services and Programs. To meet these objectives, we invite all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply. Please be advised that accommodation is available upon request.
We thank all applicants, but only those to be interviewed will be contacted. Please indicate the position title, and job reference number in the email subject line and tell us how you learned about this opportunity in your cover letter.