Apply now – Great opportunity to… make a difference in the lives of at risk youth.
YMCA Membership, 5 Paid Sick Days/Year, 6% Vacation Pay, discount on child care (excluding Infant & Toddler Care)
Casual with the potential of part time shifts. Flexible scheduling.
Youth Around Prince. 1160 – 7th Ave
About the Program:
Youth Around Prince (YAP) provides a wide range of emotional and practical support for at risk youth attending YAP’s drop in, focusing on empowering youth to make positive change. YAP works from a minimal barrier, harm reduction perspective to build relationships and rapport while meeting needs of at risk youth.
Responsibilities of this role:
· Be present in YAP’s drop-in centre during all hours of operation, ensuring adequate supervision and safety for participants.
· Establish rapport and build positive relationships with at risk youth, including youth with varying levels of mental wellness, substance use concerns, challenging behaviour and complex health and social needs.
· Provide emotional and practical support to help youth meet needs, including food security, hygiene, harm reduction, housing, life skills training, social opportunities, advocacy and outreach.
· Provide resource information and/or referrals as needed to bridge support internally and externally, as indicated, to help meet additional needs beyond the scope of the drop-in.
· Monitor behaviour, be aware of dynamics between individuals, de-escalate conflict, deal with crisis and follow safety plan.
· Perform administrative tasks such as completing intake forms, assessments, collecting statistics, informing reports, youth surveys and using communication book.
· Maintain a clean, functional and welcoming environment.
· Maintain YMCA core values and follow YAP protocols. Uphold Code of Conduct and Standards of Behaviour.
· Diploma in relevant social service field or educational equivalent.
· Minimum one year related work and/or volunteer experience.
· Demonstrated knowledge of and experience working with at risk youth.
· Lived experience a major asset.
· Strong personal and professional boundaries.
· Commitment to low-barrier, non-judgmental and harm reduction approaches.
· Knowledge of relevant resources and commitment to ongoing learning.
· Understanding of the impacts of colonization/ residential schools on Indigenous peoples.
· Understanding of the impacts of violence/ abuse and trauma and the interconnectedness with mental health and substance use.
To apply: Send a short cover letter and resume to
Coordinator, Youth Around Prince
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!