Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
YWork for us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Childcare discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Job Code: 7-HAD-2023
Reports to: VP of Finance and Asset Management
Location: Hamilton, ON
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours a week
Start Date: TBD
Posting Date: May 16, 2023
Length of Contract: 1 year
- Ensure that General Accounting, Audit (internal and external), and other functions are effective, efficient, and in accordance with all relevant legislation and policies;
- Liaise with external auditors and oversees annual audits of YWCA Hamilton expenditures, assets and liabilities, making sure the recorded figures are verifiable and accurate;
- Collaborates with departmental leaders to support the annual strategy and operating plans;
- Ability to make decisions and perform effectively under stressful conditions such as directional changes, tight deadlines, limited resources;
- Calculates RGI Rents and coordinates with the City of Hamilton on monthly claims;
- Reconciles Employment Revenues, Administrative and Occupancy expenses on a monthly basis;
- Reconciles program revenues on a quarterly and annual basis and follows up with the ministry/funders as needed
- Perform a variety of advanced financial analyses to determine current and forecasted financial health of the organization;
- Oversees reconciliations, reporting, and remittances for statutory compliance, government reporting, funder reports and grant claims;
- Maintains high level of confidentiality when working with sensitive financial information, employee information and payroll records;
- Fosters a safe and healthy work environment; ensures employees comply with health, safety standards that meet or exceed legislated requirements;
- Nurtures and forms meaningful internal and external working relationships and partnerships;
- Understands emerging trends, leading practices, industry professional standards;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Works a standard 37.5-hour work week;
- Occasional evenings and weekends and travel may be required;
- Required to work from home as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business, Accounting or related field;
- Recognized professional accounting designation (CPA) or equivalent;
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ supervisory experience in finance, accounting;
- Must have in-depth knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- Must have strong computer literacy, including: advanced working skills of MS Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Strong knowledge of expense, asset and liability classifications and their accounting treatment;
- Experience or familiarity with Accounting software and Financial reporting;
- Prior experience in a unionized environment considered an asset;
- Proven problem solving and analytical skills, both quantitative and qualitative; with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience developing and executing data analyses, data collection systems and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and excellence;
- Ability to lead with a feminist, anti-racist / anti-oppressive perspective for day to day work and strategic planning;
- Must provide a current Criminal Record Judicial Matters Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends with some travel as required;
- Ability to work from a home office setting;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset.
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are women, First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, LGBTQ2S+; individuals with disabilities; and individuals from racialized communities or other marginalized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.