Evergreen is currently seeking to add a Senior Program Officer to support site-based programming at the Evergreen Brick Works (EBW). Creative, enthusiastic and action-oriented, the Senior Program Officer helps drive the day-to-day delivery of diverse public programs at EBW. If you love to collaborate with others, engage with on-the-ground programming and thrive in a public-facing work environment then this may be the right role for you.
This Senior Program Officer role will focus on developing and expanding the Public Tour Program, including Ignite Series, at EBW. They will also play a key role in maintaining existing programming and developing a suite of new public activations, including a new site-wide festival.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For 30 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We have worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
The Senior Program Officer plays a critical role in the planning, execution and evaluation of programming projects, taking on increasingly senior responsibilities in complex projects. A multi-tasker, with insight into multiple projects at any given time, the Senior Program Officer relies on well-established budgeting and project management skills to ensure that projects are delivered on time, within budget and in line with program plans.
- Contribute to program development and implementation, bringing the lens of nature connectedness, and diversity and equity to the Brick Work public programming, including but not limited to the re-development of the Brick Works Public Tour Program, managing the Ignite Series, and developing a suite of new activations, including a site-wide festival
- Engage in outreach, relationship-building and collaboration, with a focus on creating reciprocal value and relevant opportunities for Indigenous partners and other communities who have traditionally been marginalized
- Work with Senior Program Manager to plan all project timelines, milestones, deliverables, and budgets, using the appropriate software tools and applicable project management methods
- Ensure safe delivery of programs according to Evergreen policies, procedures and training
- Monitor and maintain program spaces and materials, identifying and documenting any concerns and working through solutions with Senior Manager
- Provide leadership and mentorship to Program Officers and Program Coordinators
- Monitor progress of projects and work with others to adjust plans as needed
- Work collaboratively across the organization to help find all opportunities for alignment and partnership
- Help develop communication plans and partnership opportunities, including with corporate sponsors
- Conduct internal and/or external partnership meetings to solicit feedback, input and communicate expectations
- Plan and facilitate regular meetings to monitor project progress, track updates and changes, and ensure the right information is shared with those who need it
- Proactively identify risks and help create effective contingency plans
- Share experiences and help generate lessons learned as programs are evaluated
- Continuously look for new ways to deliver projects for greater mission impact enhanced diversity, equity and inclusion, and greater alignment with organizational values
- Bring forward ideas for new programs or the evolution of existing programs
- Facilitate on-the-ground and/or virtual programming
- Facilitate volunteer participation within programs and ensure a positive and impactful volunteer experience
- Assist with the coordination of logistics at EBW to ensure smooth program delivery
- Participate in flood preparation, evacuation and clean-up activities, when necessary
- Demonstrate a commitment to good internal communications and positive workplace culture
- Model Evergreen’s core values of sustainability, innovation and connection
You excel in the following areas:
- Planning/Organization/Project Management. Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals and focus on priorities, create/implement action plans/budgets, document, evaluate, learn.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Attention to detail. Recognize that details matter. Work systematically to ensure important details do not slip through the cracks.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
You have the following qualifications:
- 4-6 years of relevant experience, with a focus on visitor experience at a tourist site, event planning and management, or other public programming
- Demonstrated success in project delivery and execution, including well-established budget management capabilities
- Experience in leading and facilitating meetings, workshops and large-scale events
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications, especially Excel, PowerPoint and Project Management Software and collaboration platforms such as Wrike
- Current standard first aid & CPR training
- Familiarity with design thinking models, software and approaches, an asset
- Previous staff or volunteer management experience, an asset
- Demonstrated experience with activities that have strong community engagement, DEI principals, and/or an understanding of ecology, and environmental justice would be an asset
- Supervised by: Senior Program Manager
- Supervises: Volunteers and/or interns, with the potential of an additional 1-2 supporting staff
- Position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto
- Remote and office environment, with on the ground presence as required
- Regular office hours are flexible, but schedule will include regular weekend work and some holidays and/or evenings to support events and activations
- Permanent, full time
- Target Hire Rate: $60,000 - $62,000 annually
- Employer-paid health and dental benefits package, 3 weeks paid vacation, 3 personal days (Evergreen Days), your birthday off, and professional development opportunities.
Application Deadline: June 11, 2023
*Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered for this position.*