Full-Time Position Available
Hamilton Urban Core is a thriving inner city health centre and a leader in the provision of high-quality primary health services and health promotion programs. Our comprehensive health services are delivered through a dynamic team of multidisciplinary, inter-professional health providers. As an inner-city health centre our client populations include individuals and families with chronic and complex health and social conditions, many of
which are living in poverty. The Physician Assistant serves as a champion of the Hamilton Urban Core’s mission and vision and works in a
manner that is consistent with the Centre’s values, beliefs, core competencies and commitment to quality in service. An essential member of the client-centered, inter-professional, multidisciplinary team of health providers at Hamilton Urban Core, the Physician Assistant will work with other members of the Centre’s teams to serve clients and communities using responsive and innovative approaches effectively and efficiently to services and service delivery framed by health equity and the social determinants of health.
Working with the Supervising Physician, and team of multi-disciplinary health providers, the Physician Assistant’s role may include but not limited to:
• Direct Client Care: performing complete clinical assessment of clients and formulate treatment plans;
conducting physical assessments and interpreting findings; ordering and completing preliminary
interpretation of diagnostic tests and performing diagnostic procedures as directed; monitoring client
progress; providing preventative health care counseling and health promotion and participating in home
and outreach visits.
• Communication: providing relevant information and explanations, including a proposed treatment
plan, to the Supervising Physician and seeking further direction where appropriate; providing education
to clients, families, and other health providers as appropriate.
• Medical Documentation and Record Keeping: maintaining clear, accurate and appropriate records of
the client encounter and management plan; working with the health care team to plan and evaluate
activities, and develop or initiate health teaching, screening programs or workshops.
• Multidisciplinary, Inter-professional Teamwork: working with the health care team to plan and
evaluate activities, and develop or initiate health teaching, screening programs or workshops by
identifying health needs of clients; assisting in planning the Centre’s services by participating on
committees and sharing information about perceived health needs and issues, engaging other health
professionals at the Centre as appropriate to ensure optimal access to services and quality care.
The successful candidate should have:
• Graduate of an accredited physician assistant education program
• Certified by the Physician Assistant Certification Council of Canada
• Relevant work experience and solid understanding of the role of the Physician Assistant
• Knowledge of and interest in primary health care, health promotion and chronic disease prevention and management
• Understanding of and sensitivity to issues impacting on client populations in the inner city
• Sound clinical skills and knowledge and strong problem-solving skills
• Interest in working in a community-based health setting
• Experience working as part of a multidisciplinary team
• Innovative and flexible
• Commitment to the cultural competence and the anti-racism and anti-oppression principles at Hamilton Urban Core
• Proficiency in the use of computers in the work environment
Interested individuals should forward a resume and cover letter by Friday June 2, 2023, 5:00pm to:
Hiring Committee – Physician Assistant
Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre
Suite 121-181 Main Street Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4S1
Fax: 905-522-5374 Email:
Hamilton Urban Core is committed to equity in employment
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!