Burnaby Pride was founded in 2018 to honour, celebrate and educate about 2SLGBTQIA+ folk in Burnaby. We are looking for an energetic and committed Event Coordinator to work with our committee to plan, produce and implement the 2023 Burnaby Pride event.
With the Pride Coordinator, the Pride Planner will
- Recruits, screens, trains and assigns volunteers
- Books venues for the events
- Books vendors and resource booths for the event (including food trucks etc)
- Recruits, vets and books entertainment for events (including contracting and marketing information)
- Works with booked entertainment to assess production needs and ensure appropriate equipment is present.
- Assists committee members with social media management
- Programs and runs 1-2 pre-pride events (workshops, talks, etc)
- Prepares and implements advertising and promotion of events. Works with volunteers to ensure distribution of promotional materials across the city
- Ensures that information booth is managed throughout the pride events.
- Assesses logistical needs and determines necessary supplies and equipment and ensures all is in place for events.
- Works with committee to facilitate sub-committees
- Sets-up and takes down event supplies.
- Recruits financial and in-kind sponsors and prepares event and other recognition.
- Works within budget limits and manages invoices.
- Develops and implements an accessibility plan for the all events (including ASL, Mobility, etc).
- Works in cooperation with staff and volunteers to implement and evaluate events.
- Writes a final report outlining their work and recommendations for future Pride events.
- Experience with event management
- Meets Canada Jobs criteria – under 30
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Post-secondary education in event management or equivalent experience.
- Excellent communication, writing, planning and problem-solving skills.
- Passion for working with and celebrating the 2SLBGTQIA+ community
- Proven ability to incorporate equity, diversity and inclusion frameworks such as de-colonial practice, anti-oppression/anti-racism, intersectionality, and disability justice into all aspects of event coordination
- Proven ability to work effectively with a broad range of diverse community and public partners.
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable in the workplace
- Proficient with computer programs, including Microsoft Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams), and virtual platforms (e.g., Zoom)
- Preference for member of the 2SLGBTQAI+ community
- Experience managing and supporting volunteers
- Experience managing budgets
- BIPOC and 2SLGBTQIA+ candidates are encouraged to apply
- Position will include mentorship from City of Burnaby Festivals and Events staff and other agency partners
- Requires occasional evening and weekend work, including July 21-23rd
The Pride Coordinator position will be hosted by Burnaby Neighbourhood House and report to the Pride Working Group hiring sub-committee
Hours & Pay rate:
This is a fixed-term position
35 hours per week – May 29 – August 18th
Rate of pay $24.04/per hour
Deadline: until position is filled
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.