Hours of Work Per Week: 32+
Scheduled Days & Hours: 9am-5pm. Varied days including weekends
Program 334-33 The Sports House - Slave Lake, Alberta
WJS Canada operates several community living programs to support people with developmental disabilities in becoming active, empowered and involved in their community regardless of the challenges they face - developmental disabilities, acquired brain injury, FASD, autism, and dual diagnosis. Our passion is to improve all aspects of a person`s life by focusing on their needs and progress. We encourage daily independence and self-sufficiency together with community inclusion.
As a Complex Needs Disability Services Worker, you will use your extensive knowledge and experience with disabilities, to identify issues, set goals and celebrate success. Each day you will coach individuals with behavior, emotional or physical challenges, teach daily living and good citizenship skills, encourage independence, reinforce strengths that are already in place and offer support within the home and around the community.
We encourage every individual we serve to participate in the development of their care plan, and we also invite family members and loved ones to become involved. This way we can be sure the individual’s unique strengths, personal goals and activity preferences are taken into account. When the individual does not have an extended support system, WJS Canada staff advocates for them and ensures they are heard, valued and treated with respect.
* This is a Temporary Full time position; you are welcome to apply for any permanent positions with WJS Canada while filling this role.
In Your Role You Will
• Assist and support individual with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Teach and encourage independent life skills i.e., hygiene (bathing, toileting, dental care, etc.), provide or prompt/model personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Daily household tasks at the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc.)
• Encourage social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individual to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Contribute toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum High School Diploma
• Certificate or Diploma in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent also welcome
• One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities, complex needs, including behavioural and mental health supports.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Non-violent Crisis Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages for full time employees including, employer paid extended health, dental, AD&D, Dependent Life Insurance.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!