Hours of Work Per Week: 30+ average
Scheduled Days & Hours: Two week rotation working split shifts. Shift times varied based on person served needs Position will include working some weekends, with shift times will be a combination of days, & evening.
344-32 The Herd
This Supportive Independent Living program encourages persons with developmental disabilities to maximize their independence, further develop their unique strengths and enjoy community integration through social, recreational and community activities.
Supports will be given in a private area of the home (basement suite) to help the client to maximize their independence and further develop their unique strengths.
The Disability Service Worker will support a young adult to gain independent living skills, including assistance with daily living activities (meal preparation, household chores, laundry, etc.) and community access (accessing transportation to educational, recreation and community programs/events). They also, mentor and advocate for the client and empower them to be self reliant and confident.
Ideally, the candidate will support the person-served with accessing the swimming pool and have some sewing skills.
In Your Role You Will
• Mentor and teach life skills including communication skills, coping with emotions and change, budgeting, household management, sexual health, boundaries and self care, relationships, self expression, social skills, coping tools, community awareness, personal safety, etc.
• Promote inclusion in community activities involving artistic, educational, recreational programming and participation in the volunteer sector.
• Assist the client in setting & achieving goals, support them during setbacks and celebrate their successes.
• Link the client to community support services
• Assist individual with daily living skills - such as preparing meals, household chores.
• Drive person in care (in your own vehicle) and supervise/participate with the client in recreational, leisure, vocational (training/employment) activities in the community.
• Assist individual with behavioural, emotional and social needs/skills
• Administer medication, first aid if/when necessary.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Experience working with developmental disability or mental illness
• High School Diploma. Ideally, post secondary education in a related human services field
• MUST HAVE - Valid Class 5 Driver’s License; reliable vehicle, clean driver’s abstract and adequate insurance
• Skills in coaching/assisting individuals in life skills, anger management, daily chores, self help & problem solving, etc.
• Committed to philosophies and principles of community based living for individuals in service.
• Good computer skills - as all files are electronic
Not sure you meet the requirements? We may be able to consider diverse combinations of skills, education and experience, so please apply.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada, a national social services agency, provides community-based services to children and families, persons with developmental disabilities, at-risk youth and young offenders, designed to foster positive life changes, increase self-esteem and confidence.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health benefits • Regular wage increases at 6 months and 1 year employment.
• Staff training and opportunities to learn/work in a wide array of programs.
• An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
• Best practices programming and innovative care.
We recognize that equity diversity and inclusion (EDI) is an important element in our work and in our day to day lives.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!