Hours of Work Per Week: 30
Scheduled Hours: 8am to 6pm 3 to 4 shifts per week. Varied rotation including weekends
336-40 Westlock Hen House
This long-term community living program supports and encourages persons with diverse abilities to further build their strengths, develop new life skills, overcome barriers and become active, empowered and involved in their community regardless of the challenges they face.
* This is a Temporary Full time position until November 2024; you are welcome to apply for any permanent positions with WJS Canada while filling this role.
The Community Disability Support Worker working 30+ hrs/wk, 8am - 6pm, 3 to 4 shifts per week to support individual including activities of daily living (ADLs) - lifts/transfers and personal care (bathing).
In Your Role You Will
• Assist client with personal home living skills, including providing personal care (bathing) and lifts/transfers.
• Assist with household chores (meal prep, laundry, cleaning, etc.)
• Drive person in care (in your own vehicle) and assist them within the community (medical appointments, buying groceries, recreational activities, etc.)
• Participate in recreational, leisure, volunteer/vocational, activities along with client.
• Connect them with their family, friends & community.
• Provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• Administer medication, first aid if/when necessary.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Must be physically able to do lifts/transfers and provide personal care, such as bathing, etc.
• 1 year related care experience – Disability Service Worker, Social Work, Special Education, Health Care Aide, Personal Support Worker or related field
• Grade 12 diploma
• Valid Class 5 Alberta driver’s license, clear Driver’s Abstract and own vehicle.
• First Aid/CPR, Non-violent Crisis Intervention (NVCI or CPI)
• Skills in coaching/assisting individuals in life skills, anger management, daily chores, self help & problem solving, etc.
Not sure you meet the requirements? We still welcome you to apply, as we may be able to consider diverse combinations of skills, education and experience.
What WJS Canada does
We are a national social services agency, that provides community-based services to children and families, persons with diverse abilities, at-risk youth and young offenders, designed to foster positive life changes and increase self-esteem.
Our Employees Enjoy
• Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health benefits
• Regular wage increases at 6 months and 1 year employment.
• An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
• Best practices programming and innovative client care.
• Staff training - Trauma Informed Practice, Medication Administration, Suicide Intervention, Behaviour Management, Conflict Resolution, Food Safe, etc.
• Opportunities to learn/work in a wide array of programs.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!