Hours of Work Per Week: 30+
Scheduled Days & Hours/wk: Evenings Noon to 10pm; working four shifts on four off rotation
336-40 Westlock Hen House
Our team provides compassionate, long term care to 2 individuals with high needs within a residential group home or their private accommodation.
Applicants must be physically able to do lifts and transfers for low weight bearing individual.
The Community Disability Support Worker (DSW), encourages and supports the physical and mental health of persons with developmental disabilities and mental health challenges; encouraging independence through learning life skills, overcoming barriers and community involvement.
In Your Role You Will
• Assist with day to day operation and maintenance of the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, and/or assisting the person in service with the completion of these tasks, etc.)
• Help individuals achieve and maintain their independence, support their strengths and encourage integration into the community.
• Model &/or when required, provide personal care i.e. grooming, dental care, bathing, toileting, etc.,
• Teach/assist the individual to complete daily household tasks (groceries, food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc.)
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health supports.
• Encourage participation and social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individual in your own vehicle to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Full job description available upon request
Not sure you meet the requirements? We may be able to consider diverse combinations of skills, education and experience, so please apply.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum Grade 12 Diploma/GED
• 1 year experience working with individuals with autism, developmental disabilities, behavior management. (Special Education Assistant, Personal Support Worker, Health Care Aide, etc. will be considered)
• MANDATORY - Valid Class 5 Driver’s License, 3 yrs Canadian driving experience and clean driver’s abstract
• Must be physically able to do lifts/transfers and be able to provide personal care, such as bathing, etc.
• Skills in coaching/assisting individuals in life skills, anger management, daily chores, self help & problem solving, etc.
• Committed to philosophies and principles of community based living for individuals in service.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Non Violent Crisis Intervention training
What WJS Canada does
We are a close-knit national social services agency, that provides community-based services to children and families, persons with developmental disabilities, at-risk youth and young offenders, designed to foster positive life changes and increase self-esteem. Over the past 30 years, we've grown to over 700 dedicated staff, in 3 provinces, who serve approximately 1,600 persons through over 125 services
Our Employees Enjoy
• Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health benefits
• Regular wage increases at 6 months and 1 year employment.
• Staff training and opportunities to learn/work in a wide array of programs.
• An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
• Best practices programming and innovative client care.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!