Position Title: LINC Instructor (Substitute)
Contract Dates: August 31, 2023 – March 29, 2024
Department: Language Programs
Program: Language Programs
Reports to: Language Leads / Language Programs Manager
The Impact North Shore LINC program offers a wide range of English language learning classes to newcomers on the North Shore ranging from Literacy to Level 7.
The LINC Instructor will be supported by the Language Leads and work under the direction of the Manager of Language Programs. The LINC Instructor will teach and support LINC students to develop their English language skills in accordance with the PBLA requirements and the general requirements of the federally funded LINC program.
Presently, we are looking for an experienced LINC instructor to cover a LINC class for a period of 7 months.
- Design, implement, and instruct English as a Second Language classes in a LINC program based on the PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) guidelines.
- Design PBLA based module plans, as well as daily lesson plans following the Canadian Language Benchmarks and the LINC Curriculum Guidelines.
- Develop a diversity of course materials that are based on the Curriculum Guidelines in a task-based program.
- Conduct ongoing needs assessments with learners, assist them to set learning goals and develop lessons accordingly.
- Design assessment tasks for ongoing evaluation of learners’ progress based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks and PBLA guidelines.
- Assist learners in organizing and updating their PBLA Language Companions (learner portfolios) as evidence of their learning progress.
- Prepare learners’ conference summary and progress reports. Conduct one-on-one interviews with learners to provide feedback on learning progress.
- Provide computer-assisted instruction using language learning software, Zoom, Moodle and MS Office programs, as needed.
- Integrate online resources and e-learning delivery tools, such as LearnIT2Teach in language instruction, as needed.
- Maintain attendance records and other documentation, as required.
- Organize community connections/special events to enhance learners’ participation and cultural experience.
- Facilitate communication between administrative, instructional, settlement service and operations teams
- Support the communication flow between students, volunteers, and Impact North Shore operational support staff.
- Seek support and finds solutions to facilitate the smooth delivery of classroom instruction and administrative functions.
- Values. Behaves consistently with clear personal values that complement Impact North Shore’s values of excellence, diversity, and respect.
- Integrity & Ethics. Ensures integrity in personal and organizational practices. Builds a respectful and client-centered workplace.
- Innovation. Thinks creatively; is open to new ideas and technologies. Is committed to developing effective and new approaches to service excellence. Is flexible and adaptable to meeting changing demands of clients, funders, and other stakeholders.
- Accountability. Accepts and creates a culture of accountability; fosters personal growth; takes personal ownership. Is self-aware and demonstrates a commitment to ongoing learning and continual improvement. Assesses risk and develops risk mitigation strategies.
- Engagement. Shows passion for the job and the mission of Impact North Shore. Engages people, organizations, and partners in developing goals, executing plans, and in delivering results.
- Effective Communication. Fosters open communication, listens to others, speaks effectively, and prepares written communication so that messages are clearly understood.
- Organized & Efficient. Plans ahead and works in a systematic and organized way. Follows directions and procedures and ensures deliverables are meet on time and according to agreed standard
- TESOL or CELTA certificate from an accredited institution recognized by TESOL Canada
- Minimum 1- 3 years of experience teaching English as a Second Language to adult newcomers.
- In depth understanding of and experience using Canadian Language Benchmarks and the LINC Curriculum Guidelines.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have completed PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) and LearnIT2Teach Stage 2 training.
- Preference will be given to active Tutela members.
- Experience providing online training will be an asset.
- Ability to adapt teaching methodology to the needs/skill levels of individual learners.
- Experience working with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of adult immigrants and refugees.
- Ability to work independently with excellent organizational and time management skills.
Schedule & Hours: Multiple Shifts Available
Contract Dates: August 31, 2023 – March 29, 2024
Salary: $29.48 per hour (+ prep time) – total hours: TBD