Women’s Support Worker (Temp Overnights) Nova Transition House
Posting Date: August 24, 2023
Closing Date: September 14, 2023
Starting Date: September 22, 2023
Days of Work: Friday – Sunday 10:00pm-8:00am
Reports To: Senior Manager or designate.
This position provides emotional support, advocacy and information and referrals to women who have experienced violence/abuse in relationships & their children. In addition, the worker participates with the staff team in maintaining records and ensuring a residential service that meets community and Work Safe health and safety standards.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screens prospective residents for suitability prior to admission
- Conducts intake interviews and helps residents settle
- Assesses residents’ immediate needs and assists them to define and implement an action plan
- Provides advocacy for residents as well as information and referrals about social services, housing, legal rights and community resources
- Provides peer crisis counselling and emotional support to women and children residing at the transition house and to crisis callers
- Works supportively with residents to consistently implement house guidelines
- Facilitates and participates in daily household operations as needed
- Attends and participates in staff meetings
- Knowledge, understanding of, and demonstrated ability to respond effectively to violence against women and children and its impacts, using feminist principles / analysis
- Minimum of a diploma in a related human services field and one (1) year recent related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience working with women who have been abused / experienced violence
- Knowledge and understanding of multiple issues commonly affecting abused women (eg: substance misuse, mental health, HIV, AIDS, etc.)
- Demonstrated success in working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds (eg: cultural, religious, age, sexual orientation, etc.).
- Must have Standard First Aid and CPR certificates
- Satisfactory completion of a criminal records search and current TB test result are requirements of the position
- A second language is an asset